Daughter needs laptop

carver 17:52 18 Jul 2008

I've been looking a various laptops and the sort of spec required and this is the sort of thing my daughter needs click here=

It will be used while she is away at college for at least three years, she wants some thing that she can do her course work on but also play a few games on, nothing intensive, things like the Sims.

Warranty is not an issue because if I pay by credit card I'll get an extra 2 years warranty on top of the original one.

Any body got any ideas about any others about the same price + or - a few £s.

day2strike 18:51 18 Jul 2008

Try Novatech click here
1st Class Laptops and Customer Support & Service

carver 21:07 18 Jul 2008

Thanks, looks interesting

Simsy 06:53 19 Jul 2008

I'd point out a couple of things, as it's for use at college.

Remember that laptops are easily stolen; much easier to steal, and dispose of, than a desktop. You might want to consider that. I realise there are other implications of having a desktop, such as space and portability.

Ensure that she has a backup hard drive, and knows how to use it, and DOES use it.

I witnessed the distress of a university flatmate of my son's when he had his laptop nicked 18 months ago. No backup! Absolutely heartbreaking.

Please don't let it happen to your daughter!!

Regards,

Simsy

carver 08:55 19 Jul 2008

No, you don't sound pompous and the advice you have given is something I had thought about.

The problem is that the College only has one WI FI spot for the whole campus, so she has to be able to take the laptop to it.

That is why I had looked at the laptop above, I didn't want to buy any thing too fancy but neither did I want to buy anything too cheap, unless some one has a better sugestion.

jack 09:18 19 Jul 2008

click here

Therefore this may be a good source click here

jack 09:21 19 Jul 2008
  jack 09:22 19 Jul 2008
  oldbeefer2 09:36 19 Jul 2008

I personally don't like PC World, but a number of friends local have recently bought the Dell Inspiron. Fast delivery and they are all very satisfied with the performance.click here

the hick 10:38 19 Jul 2008

The college has one wi-fi spot, but wont the hall of residence and accomodation have broadband connection? My daughter just finished 3 year degree, the hall in 2005 had broadband, I would have thought they all do now. She had a desktop, used USB-pendrive to shift data around. I think with laptops, they are easily damaged as well, expensive to repair, however are more popular now with students, as have become cheaper over last 3 years.

DAICAP 12:02 19 Jul 2008

Try Laptops Direct. I've bought about 10 laptops in the last 2 years for friends and school and always had quick delivery and good support. HP and Toshiba seem to be pretty reliable and have good support.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?