Dabs strikes again

etnas 00:28 27 Feb 2006

I have ordered a digital camera from dabs. This was never delivered to me, Parcelforce somehow decided it could not find the address and returned to sender.
While I was tracking this daily on the parcelforce website, I was exchanging emails with both to make sure I was there and I wanted the product.
One week later Dabs sent me an email to say I returned the pack (!!). They promptly refunded the money (£321) less £7 for shipping. Immediately the product which had gone out of stock re-appeared in their stock available for sale at £351.

Dabs claimed my address was wrong in the "my account section" and refused my complaint and my request to
a) send another camera for 321 (no shipping charge) or
b) refund me the 7 shipping.

Indeed I checked the dabs website and my delivery address was wrong...

How could this be? I bought from dabs 5 items in the past year, I received everything!
How can they claim I returned the camera? They have a clear, strict albeit a little complicated returns procedure, where one has to obtain a return code BEFORE returning an item. I have done it in the past and they are strict.

I asked for a postal address in order to take my complaint a level higher. Nope, they replied.

I suspect that they decided I was not getting a camera for 321, and they may have tampered with my own account. Sending an empty box which Parcelforce could not deliver, at my expense, while selling the camera at a higher price to someone else. Nice scam !

Has this happened to anyone else?
Do I have the right to ask them for proof that nobody tampered with the information they have on me in "my account" ?

Should I bother in the first place? The camera is now available at Pixmania for £312.

SG Atlantis® 06:03 27 Feb 2006

"I suspect that they decided I was not getting a camera for 321, and they may have tampered with my own account. Sending an empty box which Parcelforce could not deliver, at my expense, while selling the camera at a higher price to someone else. Nice scam !"

click here

If you don't have proof don't voice it...

rmcqua 09:13 27 Feb 2006

I won't claim to be a fan of Dabs, but to make a claim like that referred to above, without evidence, is just plain daft as well as being legally dicey.
In addition, it is absolutely normal practice for most companies to require you to obtain a returns number before sending items back to them.

Arnie 10:24 27 Feb 2006

"Should I bother in the first place? The camera is now available at Pixmania for £312"

If you are considering the above, I would suggest you....

click here

€dstowe 11:14 27 Feb 2006

Do you honestly think a large company like dabs would go to so much trouble just to save £40 or so?

It is fairly obvious an error has occurred in the system. To approach your complaint in a manner such as you are displaying here will do nothing to help bringing this to a satisfactory conclusion.

spuds 12:16 27 Feb 2006

Accusing companies of doing illegal acts without proof, is a definite and positive no,no.

Regarding your request for a postal address is legal, and Dabs must provide this by law. More so, if they are dealing by mail order or internet under the Distance Selling Regulation. If Dabs will not provide their registered address, then do a free search at Companies House.

Hertz Van Rentyl 13:58 27 Feb 2006

I think his point is that he did not request a returns number as he did not return it. Dabs are saying he returned item via the returns proceedure, when in fact it was a failed delivery. As to the wisdom of the accusations I think others have said enough, however it is easy to be complacent when it is not your problem, but another more reasonable approach should be considered. It is a shame when these companies take this kind of stance, sadly we see it more and more these days.

€dstowe 13:59 27 Feb 2006

From the dabs web site:

Company Information:

dabs.com plc, registered in England no. 2621728.

Registered Office:

Direct House
Wingates Industrial Park
Westhoughton
Bolton
BL5 3XD

Not difficult to obtain this - all I had to do was go to the "about us" page - which you can do as well if you want click here

etnas 09:16 02 Mar 2006

Thank you for all the comments. I am not accusing anything, just suspecting. I would love to think that an error has occurred but their "no telephone" policy and their email replies are a bit furstrating. I will check the resolved box and keep sending emails to dabs. I will post here if any new development occurs. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone