DABS helpline and consuner complaints

churtonite 12:48 01 Feb 2006

I have received an item from DABS today. It was contained in a grossly excessive amount of packaging, which is nowadays an offence that the Trading Standards Office can prosecute over (they did Office World last year for overpackaging mail order goods)
I have tried to use the DABS web site to raise this with them. But when you get to the end of writing your message, there is a send button which does not seem to work. A cynic might think that DABs do not want to receive consumer complaints, but I am sure it is just a clitch in their system.

Forum Editor 16:20 01 Feb 2006

what "a grossly excessive amount of packaging" actually means - what was wrong with it?

SANTOS7 16:31 01 Feb 2006

I think i would rather have them over packed, if it means they are going to get to you in one piece, i have used Dabs on many occasions and i have never had anything with the complaint you describe, they do fill their boxes with airfilled plastic pilows to protect the items sent,
As the FE has stated, do you mean they have increased the weight of the package by over packing to increase the weight whereby you pay more postage or what...

churtonite 16:37 01 Feb 2006

I bought a compact flash card. It was contained in the usual small plastic box measuring about 50mm square. Fine. This was then sealed in a rigid plastic blister pack measuring 180mm x 130mm - it can be argued that for retail sales there is a need for such a blister, although some would say it was a waste. But this was mail order, not retail sales. This again was placed inside a corrugated cardboard box about the size of a cereal carton - 300mmX250mmx90mm.

I have previously bought the same item from 7dayshop. No blisterpack. No cereal box. Just a postage envelope.

Office World were prosecuted in the court last year for sending out mail order goods in packaging that was only between about 10% full and 20% full.

I happen to be an expert in environmental regulations concerning the use of packaging. Two things irk me about this particular situation. The first is that what DABS are doing is environmentally irresponsible. The second is that there seems to be no way to communicate this concern to them. They do not have the facility to deal with letters or phone calls, and the complaints 'send' button on the web site appears not to function.

PaulB2005 16:47 01 Feb 2006

Over packaging can also be an anti theft / loss protection. Easy to hide / steal / loose a small package rather than a big one.

I keep most packaging an re-use it.

Stuartli 21:00 01 Feb 2006

E-Buyer once sent my best mate a Secure Digital card housed in its plastic holder.

When it arrived the courier said he thought the (pretty large) box was empty and would hang on to verify the fact if that was the case.

My mate, who had ordered a digital camera along with the SD card, opened the box which was full of plastic bubble protection, but couldn't find anything.

However, a second attempt revealed the SD card concealed in the bubble wrapping...:-)

He immediately got onto e-Buyer about the "missing" digital camera, only to be informed it was not due to arrive until the following day.

Perhaps the logic of sending the two items in one box had escaped the e-Buyer packing staff?

rmcqua 21:20 01 Feb 2006

I don't know whether Dabs don't want to receive customer complaints, but they certainly don't want customers on the Isle of Wight - they won't ship here! Not sure why, since others like Novatech, EBuyer etc. manage next day with no problems.

ade.h 21:33 01 Feb 2006

Dabs charges considerably for postage anyway, so you might as well get your money's worth.

In answer to your question; no, Dabs doesn't particularly want to hear complaints, in my experience. It's not the only one, though.

Colin 12:40 04 Feb 2006

Direct House
Wingates Industrial Park
Westhoughton
Bolton
BL5 3XD

jimv7 16:50 04 Feb 2006

The way some of the delivery companies treat parcels, I would be glad that the delivery was well protected with excess wrapping.

pipedream 23:37 04 Feb 2006

I agree with SANTOS7 & jimv7 - most couriers seem to go out of their way to deliberately damage what they're delivering, so I'd rather have it packed properly so as to be oik-proof. In fact I recently e-mailed Savastore & told them I won't be ordering from them again unless thye improve their packaging - I received a box of CD-R's from them which had a number of smashed boxes (had the same problem with CCL too a while back) & suggested they have a look at other companies who package things properly e.g. Dabs, Amazon & Ebuyer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?