Customer Service

Newuser939 09:53 29 Oct 2007

Why is it that large companies do not seem to understand that good customer service is one of the best marketing tools. BT is probably the worst (don't get me started!) but I have just tried to contact Corel about an outstanding order and spent 15 minutes listening to how they are experiencing unexpected volumes of calls. Eventually I gave up. I couldn't even email them as no email addresses are given on their web site (does anybody have an email address for them?). Is the problem one of false economy or simply managerial incompetence - or both?

Forum Editor 19:08 29 Oct 2007

to understand that good customer service will benefit a company enormously, so how come lots of businesses seem to fail badly in this area - are all their directors and/or owners stupid?

Of course they're not, they know all about good customer service, so how come they don't implement it? There may be several reasons, but one of the most important, at least in the computer industry is low margins - competition is so fierce, and the internet has made it so easy for consumers to shop around, that most companies have been forced to cut margins to the bone, in the hope that the principal of SPQR (small Profits, Quick Returns) will enable them to thrive. With all these low prices around something has to give, and often it's our old friend customer service - there just aren't the resources, human or financial, to provide a reallly effective customer service.

spuds 12:23 30 Oct 2007

So can we then assume that SPQR is one of the main reasons for poor or diabolical customer services. I think reading this forum and other media reports, customer service and aftercare seems to be based on what the retailer, provider or manufacturer can or hope to get away with.Even current consumer legislation seems to be ignored on far to many occasions nowadays.

On hold 0870 call centres at 10+ pence a minute for indefinite periods, trying to solve a manufacturing or simple enquiry, doesn't always provide the answer and satisfaction. Even contacting or trying to contact the CEO or alternative responsible parties of products or/and services can fail with dismal results for customers.

Everyone seems to be producing goods and services nowadays at extreme low margins (according to some reports and people), perhaps that is the same reason why places like Primark are increasing sales to massive proportions, or other competitors are under investigation regarding using 'sweat labour' for expensive items!.

I personally buy quite a few items from the likes of Ebuyer and Amazon et al, whose sales products are one of the cheapest in the land, including free delivery options. Customer services never seems to be a problems from those sources, yet other suppliers of far dearer 'same' products can turn out to be a total nightmare when things go slightly wrong. Looking at some of the yearly returns filed at company house, can perhaps show that some of the directors do not seem to regard small profits as a reduction of their wages and perks. Isn't marketing based on what the customer 'will' pay, and not on what the service will offer or give!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone