Currys laptop warranty

skivvy 19:49 04 Jul 2010

Hi hope you can help,
Ihave a problem with my acer laptop purchased from currys 6 months ago.It is under warranty but I put in a faster hard drive a month ago and what I would like to know is does this invalidate the warranty.The problem appears to be with the battery not charging.
Regards steve

rickf 20:00 04 Jul 2010

Yes, it might do. I would put the original HD back b4 taking it in.

spuds 22:49 04 Jul 2010

As rickf as already suggested, put that laptop back to the original manufacturer specification.

I only hope that there are not any warranty seals on the laptop, which you may have broken!.

Another suggestion that I would make, is to do an internet search to see if your particular model as any problems, like battery failures. Any evidence would strengthen your case, if you are returning the product.

Another point that is possible worthy of a mention. Take photographs of the laptop, before you hand it to Currys. There have been cases of accidental damage, which have resulted in problems as to how the damage occurred and by whom.

I have a laptop that I have increased the memory. At the time of purchase I notified the retailer, and they supplied the extra ram. By going that route, any modification was with their approval, should a later claim occur.

papa lazarous 21:21 05 Jul 2010

You are allowed to upgrade your computer and your warranty will be fine as long as the problem is not related to the upgrade.

spuds 09:38 06 Jul 2010

Whats the betting that Currys use the modification as an excuse though, initially of cause ;o)

Þ² 09:46 06 Jul 2010

Was looking at buying a desktop PC from them. Sales guy told me even just upping the ram would invalidate the warranty.

I found a better priced tower from tesco with more ram in it, I'm so glad he put me off.

bjh 10:28 06 Jul 2010

Currys could argue that the hard drive change had put excessive drain & demand on the battery....

I don't think this would be a reasonable or fair claim, but they could still muddy the waters.

Put the original in and, if possible, use the restore disk as well, so it is in "sold" condition as far as software goes.... else they'll blame the battery fail on that too!

rickf 17:12 06 Jul 2010

As said, put the orignal back b4 taking it back. They will used ay excuse to get out of warranty and you'll find yourself in a needless arguement.

rickf 17:14 06 Jul 2010

oops!! lots of typos, sorry.

STREETWORK 19:40 06 Jul 2010

Upping the RAM will invalidate the warranty...

what rubbish they told you. Thats why they sell ram in currys...???

proudfoot 16:04 10 Jul 2010

I would suggest you that unless they are prepared to repair or replace the laptop you will institute proceeding under The Sale of Goods Act 1979. (Google "Sale of Goods Act") stating the goods are not fit for purpose.
If you quote chapter and verse and stand your ground to shop workers/mangagers how quick they will offer a solution
You may be unaware that you have right to demand damages on a sliding scale for up to 6 years after purchase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone