Credit Card Verification Details.

morddwyd 15:34 06 Oct 2013

Sometimes when making an on-line purchase you have to verify your card using details set up with your bank, but sometimes you don't.

Is this entirely at random, or are there certain criteria?

You can pay £300 or more to some obscure Honk Kong company, but then £125 to a fairly reputable company Amazon or John Lewis triggers the whole security rigmarole.

Even successive payments through PayPal, where the retailer is not even identified, can be dealt with differently.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, additional security is generally to the good, I'm just wondering how it is triggered.

Forum Editor 16:08 06 Oct 2013

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

Forum Editor 16:10 06 Oct 2013

It's triggered when a retailer has signed up to the card payment verification scheme with your bank. If you use a retailer that hasn't registered for the verification check system there will be no additional checks.

morddwyd 18:54 06 Oct 2013

Thanks twice, FE.

It was meant to be on this forum in the first place!

Doesn't explain the variations within PayPal though.

The bank will surely see Paypal as a single retailer for the purposes of payment?

rdave13 19:38 06 Oct 2013

Over the years I've used credit and debit payments on the internet I've only been stalled twice. On the credit card purchase I was asked for a password. Deal failed as I didn't realise that this particular password was different to the ususal security log in details and personal information. Had to go to the credit card's site and create one. When purchasing again, using the newly created password, it was accepted. On the debit card, verifying went through ok but a new window opened up and I was asked to answer three questions. On that particular occation one was false and the other two were true. So I assume these are additional random security checks.

spuds 09:56 08 Oct 2013

At times I can find this verification thing either positive or negative on the few sites that I use who use verification.

On the positive side, I am pleased, because this not only safeguards me, but the retailer as well.

On the negative side, I once forgot the 'secret password' and contacting the bank direct by telephone, I found the whole experience rather upsetting. It took a senior manager to respond with an apology, and promises that they were looking into their system to make it easier. The customer service advisor/agent wouldn't budge, she had a set pattern, and that was it?.

BT 17:36 08 Oct 2013

Tesco online grocery almost always goes to the verification pageb ut on rare occasions it doesn't, don't know why.

Forum Editor 11:04 12 Oct 2013

spuds

"The customer service advisor/agent wouldn't budge, she had a set pattern, and that was it?."

I sincerely hope so; I would not want to bank with an organisation which allowed customer service agents to make judgements when it came to handling banking password queries. These people must act to protect the money of the people who are their customers, and that includes sticking to a carefully worded script.

You didn't detail the nature of your enquiry, but if it was an attempt to obtain your online verification password the agent was right not to budge. Imagine the ramifications if that could be done.

spuds 12:08 12 Oct 2013

Forum Editor

Its very strange how you have a very different opinion and attitude to that of a senior manager of a banking institution, when he clearly gave an apology and said the customer care person had got it wrong, and a review would be undertaken?.

Forum Editor 14:30 12 Oct 2013

spuds

Are you seriously suggesting that my opinion - that customer service staff should not assist customers to obtain a bank account verification password over the phone - is strange?

You'll note that I pointed out the fact that you didn't supply details, but from what you said about forgetting your password I made an assumption that you were trying to get someone to provide you with your payment verification password over the phone. No bank worth its salt would ever do that, so perhaps you were trying to get some other kind of information.

If as senior manager of a bank said his call centre 'got it wrong' when it protected your personal password he should be sacked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?