Cougar Systems

iscanut 13:17 20 Jan 2008

This is the spec that I have on order.
Will let you all know about my experience once it has been delivered next week. Hope this can add to the positive comments about Cougar.

Gamers Intel Core 2 Duo 8800 (Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz 4Mb Cache,
4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 - 4 x 1GB,
500GB SATA Hard Drive,
Impress Case , Atrix 650Watt Transparent + Blue LED,
512Mb 8800GT PCI express,
QC - ASUS P5N-ESLI 1333fsb-DDR800x4 SLI motherboard (Dual graphics),
2 x Samsung DVD +/- Re-writer, No Floppy Disk Drive,
22 inch (DVI) AMW TFT 5ms widescreen X2210WDS,
Microsoft keyboard & mouse set, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 PCI 7.1, Intergrated Monitor Speakers,
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Inc SP2, No Additional Software,
13 Month Warranty, Free Carriage
Internal 3.5Inch Card Reader

£969 inc

iscanut 11:58 24 Jan 2008

System delivered day earlier than originally advised which is good. Well packed and nicely put together. Works out of the box and initial findings are very good. Have still to test everything, but from what I can see, very pleased and excellent value. Highly recommended. Nice to have an original Win XP OEM disc rather than a bland recovery disc.

iscanut 19:38 24 Jan 2008

Now up and running on Internet on new system. There were a couple of items changed from what I ordered, but probably in my favour so no complaints. Instead of 4 x 1Mb Corsair memory, I have 2 x 2Mb modules and 2 Samsung Light Scribe DVD units instead of basic ones. I was concerned to find that the keyboard and ALL settings were still set to the USA. Problems with th £ key & the @ key for example. Had to change all of this to get it working properly. Would have thought that would have been done for me. I also thought Cougar had said somewhere that they update the XP installation with all updates. Well mine was not. I had to download and install 95 of them. Just as well I am on Broadband. Heaven help anyone on dial up! Apart from these minor grouse, all is OK and a very nice system amd well put together. Had problems with my router with limited connectivity messages when trying to access Internet, but I have seemed to have sorted that out. Not Cougar's responsibility I would add. I would still recommend Cougar as a system builder offering good value.

iscanut 20:42 24 Jan 2008

...and the Date & Time had to be set up from a date in 2007 !

Ashrein 23:17 24 Jan 2008

Nuts
What do you think of the monitor you have got(AMW 22inch)?

iscanut 09:37 25 Jan 2008

Monitor is good, but am comparing it with my old one, a 6 year old NEC 18" lcd. Good colours and contrast, but not adjustable, luckily height and pitch is fine for me.Have not yet tried it with games as still restoring all my progs and data etc..

daveeb 10:32 25 Jan 2008

Nuts I'm interested to know what make the hard drive is in your system.

iscanut 10:38 25 Jan 2008

Its a Hitachi HDP725050 GLA360.
Hope that means something to you. Having had a look inside case, it is very small compared to how I remember the old ones from years ago. Not being very technical in these matters, I do not know if this a latest model !

daveeb 10:43 25 Jan 2008

Thanks Nuts! As long as its not Maxtor i don't mind (had lots of Maxtors fail on me).

iscanut 20:41 28 Jan 2008

Had the new pc for a few days now and very pleased with it. Very good value. The only minus re Cougar is lack of response once I had made the purchase. I had sent two emails but no one has bothered to respond at all. They had just been ignored. In one I queried the fact that the spec I made and what I received was not the same in a couple of instances. No big problem but it would have been nice to have had a response.
Howver, I have a good system and it works !

iscanut 20:43 28 Jan 2008

I forgot to say that the 8800GT card has only DVI sockets, yet they do not supply a DVI cable. Had to pay extra for this and ask for it. Not a huge expense, but again, it would have been useful to have offered it !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?