Cougar Extreme or Power Computing

daveeb 13:40 10 Nov 2008

Morning all
I want to get myself a new pc while XP can still be specified. I've narrowed my search down to the two suppliers above. I've made a phone call to both companies and both answered quickly and were helpful. Indecisiveness has kicked in now as they both seem to have a good reputation on this site and their component specs are similar and both very good. Cougar maybe has the edge on choice but powerc offer 2 year guarantee as standard and don't charge for using a credit card. If i had the cash i'd get one from each !! Does anybody have any thoughts or experiences that could help to sway me one way or the other.

190119 13:55 10 Nov 2008

I can certainly recommend Cougar, a great company to deal with. I am sure they don't charge for credit card use any more, they didn't charge me anyway.

rustyboy 15:47 10 Nov 2008

I have two Powerc PC's. Both superb machines. Both delivered within 5 working days of ordering.
My friend has one he bought just for playing online games. He found the graphics card he requested in his spec had issues with the games he played so he phoned them and they said send the card back and providing it was in full working order he could upgrade to a better card and just pay the difference. How many companys will do that once you've taken delivery and started using it?
Oh and a 2 year parts and labor collect and return warranty....need i say more.

tillybaby 16:07 10 Nov 2008

I too bought from Cougar and can recommend the company.,

They kept me informed via e-mail on exactly when to expect delivery etc. Also they suggested that when I sign for the computer I write 'unchecked'Something I wouldn't have thought of,

The computer was delivered within five days too so no hanging around for weeks on end waiting for components,

I cannot comment on the other supplier you mentioned on here as I've had no experience of them.

Starfox 16:55 10 Nov 2008

Another very happy Cougar-Extreme customer here, a good company to deal. Delivered within 5 days (not that I was in a rush) worked straight out of the box, delivered exactly when they said it would be and had a 'phone call the day after to see if all was well.

I wasn't charged for credit card use either.

Can recommend them most highly.

daveeb 19:02 10 Nov 2008

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated. I was marginally leaning towards Cougar anyhow so the 3 positive replies clinch it I think.

daveeb 11:19 11 Nov 2008

Sorry to confuse things as I did indicate the thread closed ! but could I just ask Starfox and 190119 how they avoided the 3% CC surcharge. Was your order done via phone or online ????

And thanks to Marg 7 and rustyboy for their contributions also...I still haven't discounted powerc.

Starfox 13:01 11 Nov 2008

Configured my order online and they telephoned me to discuss the order.

Just checked my invoice and I did not pay CC charge for sure.

190119 15:43 12 Nov 2008

Bought my PC from Cougar in May of 2007, can't find my invoice right now but I am fairly certain I wasn't surcharged for CC use. Same as Starfox I ordered online and they telephoned me to check all details. In fact they advised on a couple of alterations to my original specification, advise I am glad I took.

Computer has worked perfectly from day one and is still going strong, a very nice piece of equipment.

daveeb 20:01 12 Nov 2008

Well it's good to get positive feedback about both of these suppliers. Thanks once again all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?