Cougar Extreme - are they good?

ZootHornRollo 22:16 12 Nov 2009

I want to buy a new gaming PC. After looking at numerous sites, mags and this forum Cougar seem to come out pretty well.I like the spec of the new MESH Matrix II 5870XTclick here but am wary of Mesh's customer service reputation which seems at best problematic. I have come up with this very similar spec and Cougar will do it albeit for a bit more than MESH.

Any view on the company? And can anyone more technically minded than me spot any glaring howlers in my spec. I want good graphics,speed, good quality monitor and a quiet PC for about £1200-1300.

Here's the spec and any views would be welcome:
ATI AMD 4850 4890 DDR3 (AM3 Phenom X4 965 3.4 GHz 8 MB Cache, Manufacturer Supplied Cooler, 8GB Corsair Memory DDR3 1600 (4 x 2gb), 1000GB SATA Hard Drive, , , AM3 MSI 770-C45 - DDR3 1600x4 770-C45 chipset, ATI 5870 1024MB PCI Express DDR DVI, Centurion 590 Black 500W Case, Cooler Master 700W PSU, DVD+/- RW - 20X Samsung Lightscribe, No Floppy Disk Drive, 24 Inch Cougar Extreme Wide Screen TFT, Microsoft keyboard & mouse set, Integrated Sound Card, Logitech S220 2.1, No printer, Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit, No Additional Software, No wireless, PCI Firewire Card, , Standard Warranty, Standard England & Wales Shipping) (remove) £1,347.43 £1,347.43

The Kestrel 08:39 13 Nov 2009

Cougar come well recommended on this forum. Do a search for threads about them.

As a purchaser of a Cougar system a while ago, I phoned them for advice on my PC and was very pleased with their expert advice. If you want to discuss you PC, phone them, you will probably speak to Mario who is very knowledgeable and helpful.

birdface 09:28 13 Nov 2009

They have one little problem that they need to sort out.
Sometimes if they do not have the [say] Motherboard or Tower that you want they will substitute it for another without asking you first.
Most of those changes will be to your advantage but it is always better to be asked first.
Once the customer has received there computers they are usually very happy with them.
I have never heard any other types of complaints about them.
Mostly all reports are very good except for the odd one with the above problems.

daveeb 13:37 13 Nov 2009

Exactly as Buteman says, i'm happy with my year old purchase from them. Good spec at a good price although they did change the motherboard without consultation. I contacted them later about some software and they actually bothered to ring me back which i was quite impressed with. I'd be inclined to get a monitor from elsewhere though, their general quality and range of choice doesn't seem to be quite as good as the rest of the components.

Woolwell 13:38 13 Nov 2009

Do you really need 8 Gb memory and are you satisfied with onboard sound?
I would be tempted to have 2 hard drives.

ZootHornRollo 20:19 13 Nov 2009

Kestrel - Mario has written to me - impressed by his response. Just have to decide which permutation to go for.

The monitor is in fact a HANNS-G (HH241HPB) 23.6" HD READY 5MS HDMI BLACK LCD MONITOR. This look reasonable but there may be better ones out there I

4gb ram seemed a little low so went for the 8gb to be on the safe side but maybe I can reduce it to save a few bob

ZootHornRollo 23:23 10 Dec 2009

I did plump for Cougar in the end - after some problems getting the AMD5870 card it finally arrived today several weeks after ordering and so far I am pleased with it.

However, the monitor wasn't the one they said they were supplying - turned out to be an AOC 2436 pwa - I had not come across them before but it seems alright so far although I haven't put it through its paces yet. They should have told me that they were changing it though. Mario did contact me a few times and certainly is good with customers.

The PC was easy to set up and everything working exactly as it should - so far Windows 7 looks better than Viasta too - a lot quicker and totally stable. One satisfied customer.

folsom 12:51 11 Dec 2009

Are they good?....in a word YES

iscanut 13:47 11 Dec 2009

Yes but best to get your own monitor !

sercher70 13:00 16 Aug 2010

Since I am a pleb on the inside of a PC I spoke ( as advised on line here ) to Mario at Cougar Extreme. He talked me through the items I needed to givr me a spec that I could have on my small budget and the reasons why he chose each component. He was very patient with me (I am getting on a bit these days nearly 80) and I was able to order straight away on line.
If the machine is as good as his service and commitment then I will be well pleased Sercher 70

Richard-1464308 07:13 25 Aug 2010

I had a good experience with these guys,
click here again only for the base unit, I would prefer a cheaper monitor as I'm not a pro :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?