Cost of 'free' BT Answer 1571 messaging service

Dragon_Heart 00:13 03 Jun 2008

Just got an e-mail from BT about a charge made on my bill,

BT Answer 1571 is free of charge, but from 01/08/2007 at least 2 chargeable calls per month must be made excluding calls to 0800 number ranges, 1471 and 1571. 1471 Call Return (press 3) is included. If 2 chargeable calls are not made, you will be charged the rental costs of BT Answer 1571 service for that period on your bill. Rental charges for BT Answer 1571 service is £3.00 (Incl. VAT) per quarter.

If you do not use BT as your phone provider you will have to prefix using '1280' (before dialling any number) on at least two calls to route the calls over the BT Network.

Apparently a letter has been sent to all customers informing them about BT Answer 1571 call charges.

octal 06:29 03 Jun 2008

A quick search around the internet I found this click here

So it's not really new for BT to charge for the 1571 service because part of that says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* If you are billed monthly, at least two chargeable or inclusive calls must be made with BT within that month. Otherwise a charge of £1.00(Inc VAT) a month for the BT Answer 1571 standard service will be raised.
* If you are billed every three months, at least six chargeable or inclusive calls must be made with BT within those three months. Otherwise a charge of £3.00(Inc VAT) every three months for the BT Answer 1571 standard service will be raised.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The worrying part is being billed if you use another network over BT lines and don't dial 1280 because if you are not a BT customer, how are you going to know about the charge unless your own provider informs you. The other question is that two calls each and every month, or two calls to switch the system off? If it's the former, then in sounds like a nice little earner for BT if you forget to do that. If I've understood that correctly then I'm not sure they can do that without being challenged because the onus is now placed on a subscriber to op out of a service rather than op in. Having not seen the letter then it's difficult to determine what they are actually saying.

BT 08:14 03 Jun 2008

Get an Answer Machine!
I was using the free 1571 on Virgin, which worked fine but was rather inflexible, until one day I missed a message because the 'interrupted dialling tone' which supposedly lets you know that there is a message didn't work. I went and bought a Digital Answering machine with a DECT phone from Tesco for about £25. I logged my other 2 DECT phones onto it and cancelled my 1571 service.

spuds 13:10 03 Jun 2008

I only wish that I had not cancelled my previous long term BT account. At least BT kept me informed as to what was happening, not like my present broadband and telephone service provider :o(.

T0SH 14:46 03 Jun 2008

Every time someone calls a number set up use the BT 1571 service if the line is engaged or rings out it goes instantly to a chargeable call charged as a minimum call charge no choice option is given to the caller

Now it seems they are getting even more greedy wanting two bites of the cherry

Dragon_Heart 17:22 03 Jun 2008

" Having not seen the letter then it's difficult to determine what they are actually saying. "

I'd like to see it too !

It's always the same with these companies. they still want their pound ( or should that be £ ) of flesh world recession or not.

Forum Editor 17:27 03 Jun 2008

in Consumerwatch, so I'm moving it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?