cordless telephone info, if poss

knockin on 21:51 11 Jun 2009

Does anyone know of a cordless phone which can still operate in the event of a power failure? e.g. an internal battery allowing use for a time after the power fails, maybe?
My 88 yr old M-in-L would really benefit from a phone with cordless handsets, but would need to be able to still use the phone if she suffered a power cut.

MAT ALAN 22:17 11 Jun 2009

A backup device does exist but not this side of the pond (none that i can find), some good sensible info in the link...

click here

BRYNIT 22:35 11 Jun 2009

The simplest solution is to have a cheap phone always connected to the phone line in case of a power failure. The problem with a battery backup is you never know if it’s working unless you regularly check it.

dagnammit 23:46 11 Jun 2009

We have our cordless phone and a £2.99 wired one placed in the hallway.

Stuartli 00:16 12 Jun 2009

As far as I'm aware, standard telephones require a 50v supply to work so would still be affected by a power cut.

Perhaps a cheap mobile phone could be the answer providing the battery is regularly topped up?

Stuartli 00:19 12 Jun 2009

Seems that I'm partially correct.....:-)

click here

BT 07:53 12 Jun 2009

I had an analogue cordless phone some years ago with battery backup, but as BRYNIT says, unless you check it regularly the batteries will always be flat when you need it. The sensible solution is as dagnammit says and have a cheap wired handset to use in emergencies. It follows that you M-I-L will have her current phone to use as a spare if she replaces it with a cordless one. If she only has one phone socket a 2 way splitter will enable both phones to be kept plugged in.

Stuartli 08:59 12 Jun 2009

>>I had an analogue cordless phone some years ago with battery backup>>

It wouldn't have worked for making calls without a battery..:-)

Most phone batteries are rechargeables and constantly being recharged when the phone is on its cradle.

Of course, when they finally pack up after about two years or so, it's virtually certain you will have to charge up a replacement battery for about 24 hours (unless the phone uses AA or AAA type batteries and standard versions can be used temporarily).

Diemmess 11:33 12 Jun 2009

Underline..... a cheap hard-wired phone will work fine when the lights go out.
Power cuts are frequent in my area where all power supplies are over ground.

We still have (in the same room as a Panasonic cordless) a 20+ yrs old pulse dial phone with speakerphone facility which serves very well for two reasons...

Most importantly my wife prefers it! Nice big numbers.

Also rarely, useful to stop BT engineers in their tracks, trying to accuse our number of not having a hard wired BT phone and thus causing the fault.

Woolwell 13:31 12 Jun 2009

Cordless phones require a base station to work and I am not aware of any base stations currently available that have battery back up. Now to be proved wrong!
What about a mobile phone?

oresome 13:44 12 Jun 2009

I'd to dig an old phone out of the loft a couple of weeks ago following a lightning strike that damaged the cordless phone and two asdl filters amongst other things.

Just replaced in the loft again this week and the power went off which of course disables the cordless phone. To be fair, I could have rung the electricity provider on the PAYG mobile, but didn't fancy being held in a queue whilst the credit ebbed away. In the event the power was restored in 2 hours.

The 50 volts on the telephone line used to power a wired phone is provided by batteries at the exchange which will outlast most power outages.

BT often applied 50 volts to landlines that didn't actually require a supply. This DC whetting as it was called kept electrical connections on the line in better condition preventing them from going noisy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?