Convert jpegs to multipage Tiff

joebloggs1 20:53 03 Apr 2005

Anyone know of a good program to convert jpegs from a digital camera to multipage Tiff format, so they can be imported into a Document Imaging system?? Can import the jpegs but a 'page one of x' single file would be so much simpler.

pauldonovan 09:54 04 Apr 2005

...from some kind of batch program or interactively?

I'm not 100% sure on difference between TIFF and Multi Page tiff but lots of paint programs will save TIFF files which might well be recognised?

Have you tried Irfanview? I just downloaded it and converted a jpeg to a .tiff and it loaded up fine and just looked like a single page tiff....give it a go.

pj123 14:15 04 Apr 2005

Irfanview from: click here

SEASHANTY 16:22 04 Apr 2005

....also do not forget that every time you convert or resize a jpeg image you lose quality (i.e. the jpeg files are not lossless)

pauldonovan 16:41 04 Apr 2005

I know the jpeg's aren't lossless, but that surely applies to converting TO jpeg.

If you have a jpeg of quality 'x' and convert it to some other format through a conversion which is not lossy (i.e. I believe TIFF may not be lossy) then why should it lose quality?

SEASHANTY 20:41 04 Apr 2005
  SEASHANTY 20:59 04 Apr 2005

and another on RAW, JPEG and TIFF
click here

pauldonovan 10:37 05 Apr 2005

...thanks - I know about RAW, TIFF and Jpeg. All i'm saying is - you are thinking (I think) RAW -> JPEG = Lossy.....

That's true.

But once you have a jpeg at whatever quality...I don't see why it should lose quality being converted to TIFF.

See this:

click here

You are thinking about the method of original capture, as in photography.

SEASHANTY 11:29 05 Apr 2005

Thanks for that link. Makes things a little clearer but I note that the three headings refer to JPEG2000
which is the newer sytle. I have my Photo album on the PC in TIF format (which is non lossy) and would like to view these on DVD player as I have given copies to relatives who cannot play them except on PC. The DVD players we have will only show JPEG so I will have to convert and this will lose quality. Maybe put on a DVD tho later. Picasa shows excellent reproduction of these photos in TIF format though I have noted a fall off in quality if I show them using Irfanview.

pauldonovan 12:24 05 Apr 2005

No - the 3 headings are sponsored links in Google groups - nothing to do with the post - I was referring to the content of the post.

TIFF -> Jpeg will be a quality drop however, if you pick maximum quality for your conversion particularly on a TV or say at 800x600 resolution I doubt you will even notice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017