Consumer rights when buying a ex-display product

ajm 23:38 09 Jan 2006

Recently, i purcahsed a laptop that was a special clearance priced. It was part of a system that should have come with external speakers and dock station and remote control and charger. It was very very competitvely priced and i bought a charger for £20 that works fine. There was no need for the dock station, remote control or external speakers. The receipt stated that the model was non-pristine and says only the main machine was bought.

i have now noticed that the onboard speakers are not fucntioning and also the trackpad mouse is dead as well.

What are my rights to get this machine fixed? Do i get the same consumer rights as if i had bought a brand new machine?

Forum Editor 23:47 09 Jan 2006

but there are caveats.

If your attention was drawn to the fact that there were faults, or parts missing, or if the faults were such that it is reasonable to expect that you would have spotted them you do not have the right to expect replacement or repair within six months of purchase under the terms of the sale of goods and services to consumers regulations.

You do however, still have the protection of the Sale of goods act, which states that the machine must be fit for its purpose - that of being a computer.

The problem in these cases is often one of proof - what proof is there that the retailer didn't have a notice by the machine saying "there may be components missing or damaged from/in this computer, it is not sold as new, and you purchase it entirely at your own risk". The shop might say there was, you might say there wasn't, and neither of you can produce proof that you're right.

Are you absolutely sure that the onboard speakers and trackpoint haven't been disabled in the Windows device manager settings?

ajm 23:52 09 Jan 2006

I have checked all the settings. As per a previous post yesterday asking help in getting restore cds for that laptop, I did not have luck. I managed to by a OEM version of XP Home edition today and installed thats successfully. I also downlaoded all the relevent drivers from the SONY WEBSITE for all hardware. All seem to be working OK

The trackpad and audio drivers were installed successfully as i see the sound icon on the task bar and also the ALPs pointing device as well. So i reckon that the sound card and also the mouse track pad are not working

spuds 10:49 10 Jan 2006

Buying an ex-display model can lead to many hidden minefields.

Scenario of a problem that I had. Wanted very urgently a monitor and visited the local Staples store. All their in-stock models were on display, so I selected a Medion flat-screen monitor perfect for my needs.Store was unable to locate the delivery carton and instruction manual, and on that basis and being a display item, I was given a slight discount of £5.20. On arriving home,I contacted Medion to register the 2 year warranty and request a copy of the instruction manual. Medion confirmed that the monitor was now registered under the 2 year warranty terms and conditions, and requested from me £8.00 for the instruction manual, which was then paid for via a credit card payment.Even though I had lost out on £2.20, plus the cost of the telephone call, I was happy with the situation. I had now got my 'new' monitor.

Two days later, Medion sent me a faxed message, stating that their warranty was now void, as the monitor was '2nd user, and not new' due to the fact that the monitor had been on display at the Staples store (I had informed Medion of this, in the casual conversation for requesting an instruction manual).

To cut a very long depressing story short. Correspondence and telephone calls, of which they were many, between Medion, Staples and myself, resulted in Medion re-offering a warranty of 1 year only (with conditions), which I would not except. Eventually, Staples accepted the full 2 year warranty, with the written promise, that should anything happen in those 2 years, they would replace the monitor at no cost to me.

My experience on that occasion, as now lead me to be triple sure of all the possibilities that ex-display can bring untold miseries, if you do not have the full facts.

spuds 10:59 10 Jan 2006

Whoops- Should have said 'lost out on £2.80'

spuds 11:08 10 Jan 2006

Another Whoops- I didn't inform Medion that it was '2nd user, and not new'. I mentioned that the model had been on display, due to Staples stock levels, hence the lost manual. Medion told me that the monitor was now classed as '2nd user and not new'.So voided the warranty.

Apologies for the two Whoops. Must learn to double read before posting. Slap on wrist :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?