Consumer rights regarding new spectacles

NewestRoyWidd1 18:22 10 Apr 2010

Hello,I bought some new prescription glasses from Tesco opticians almost three months ago.Earlier this week,one of the nosepads fell off,duly replaced by Tesco without fuss.
Yesterday,a tiny screw holding the frame together fell out,and so did one of the lenses!Can anyone advise me please as to what-if any-my consumer rights are on this,before I return them on Monday?
Many thanks,
NRW1

Forum Editor 18:33 10 Apr 2010

for any fault in the frames. This business with small screws is a real pain with spectacle frames, I was constantly tightening my own reading glasses fames up until one day a tiny lightbulb went on in my head.

I put the smallest possible drop of superglue on the screw-heads, since when all has been well.

NewestRoyWidd1 18:36 10 Apr 2010

Thanks FE,does that mean they might replace the frames free of charge?
NRW1

Forum Editor 22:29 10 Apr 2010

When you go there on Monday, do so with the attitude that you're expecting satisfaction. Be firm about it in a non-argumentative way, and if it's necessary tell them that the frames are 'not fit' within the meaning of the Sale of Goods Act.

They have the right to repair the frames, but point out that they've already done this once, and although you might be prepared to let them replace the missing screw it will be the last time - if it happens again you want new frames.

spuds 00:18 11 Apr 2010

Perhaps off subject slightly, but I have found that opticians can be very funny people in respect of frame repairs on older spectacles. Replacement of pads or screws can range from charging nothing to possibly £10.00, depending on how friendly the optician or a staff member are.

I find Asda opticians very good.

BT 08:19 11 Apr 2010

I used to use a small local opticians and found them very obliging as regards small repairs. They never made a charge but I used to put a couple of quid in their charity box. I think that the small places are more accomodating as they probably know you, unlike the big multiples.
Unfortunately the problems with nose pads and screws seem to happen regardless of whether they are cheap or expensive frames.
FE's suggestion of a touch of superglue on the screws is something I have done myself.

g0nvs 10:00 11 Apr 2010

Opticians should repair or exchange glasses without quibble, considering how much profit they are making.

NewestRoyWidd1 11:46 11 Apr 2010

FE;Thank you for your sound advice,I'll let you know the result of my trip to Tesco tomorrow.
spuds;Usually Tesco opticians are very obliging when it comes to their aftersales service,and don't charge.My glasses are just 3 months old though.I'm just pleased that they decided to fall apart at home and not when out on the bike!
NRW1

Bald Eagle 21:17 11 Apr 2010

I used superglue once and finished up stuck to my specs! TRUE!
BE

DieSse 15:19 12 Apr 2010

Loctite threadlocker is the "proper" stuff for stopping screws coming loose. Any ironmonger should carry it.

NewestRoyWidd1 16:16 12 Apr 2010

Hello FE;My frames are all sorted now,the screw was replaced,and the lens put back in.The assistant couldn't have been more helpful or apologetic.
I followed your advice by pointing out that next time I will be insisting on new frames.Many thanks for your help and advice.
To others who replied;First chance I get,superglue is obviously needed.Thanks to everyone,this will be book-marked and ticked as"resolved".
NRW1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017