Consumer Advice from the DTI

anchor 09:11 18 Mar 2006

I see that the DTI have set up an advice line for consumers; its called "Consumer Direct".

Mainly by telephone, (local call rate), but its also possible to send a web message.

click here

spuds 12:42 18 Mar 2006

Consumer Direct been mentioned on many occasions within the forum, but a reminder is always very welcome. Further consumer advice click here

anchor 12:52 18 Mar 2006

spuds:

I also have seen past threads that included references to Consumer Direct, but after hearing a radio advert this morning, I though it useful to make a new post specifically about it.

We see so many posts concerning consumer problems with which Consumer Direct may be able to offer free help and advice.

Stuartli 20:14 18 Mar 2006

It's a development from Trading Standards.

WhiteTruckMan 19:51 19 Mar 2006

just another way to spend taxpayers (thats you and me!) money in a wasteful manner. why cant TS do this. might mean more staff, but bet wouldnt have to have as many new management.

WTM

pavvi 22:17 19 Mar 2006

It's all part of the DTI's remit sot aint a waste of money if it's giving people a useful service...

Forum Editor 23:09 19 Mar 2006

What is it that enables you to assert that this service will spend taxpayers' money in a wasteful manner? Do you have some kind of insight that the rest of us lack?

I would have thought that any service which sets out to help consumers avoid problems or to deal with them when they happen is the best possible use of taxpayers' money. It certainly beats giving cash away to some of the layabouts who can't be bothered to work for a living, and a great deal of that goes on.

WhiteTruckMan 06:13 20 Mar 2006

because it looks like a whole new setup has been devised. while extra staff (and all the support structure that this implies) will be necessary to do the actual work, its the extra level of beaurocracy that always accompanies governmental efforts that made me comment before. I am of the opinion that such efforts should be fitted into existing departments. We may not have much in the way of rights when it comes to deciding how our tax money is spent, but I durn well think we have the right to know how its spent.

WTM

anchor 10:02 20 Mar 2006

WhiteTruckMan is, of course, entitled to his opinion. For my part I consider it a useful and cost effective use of resources.

He said Trading Standards fulfil this roll, but my trading standards department is many miles away. No, I don`t live in the heart of the country, I live in the London Borough of Harrow, which share trading standards with the London Borough of Brent. Their office is a long way away; you should try calling them; always engaged.

To have a dedicated telephone contact for consumer advice is most useful.

WhiteTruckMan 10:20 20 Mar 2006

I didnt say trading standards fulfil this role. I asked why couldnt they do it. I'm not against this concept in principle, its the implementation that concerns me. I just dont want my tax money spent on supporting extra layers of middle managers and beaurocrats who are simply duplicating someone elses efforts. Lets not re-invent the wheel here.

WTM

Stuartli 10:46 20 Mar 2006

If you contact your local Trading Standards department, its initial advice now is to contact Customer Direct on 08454 04 05 06 for consumer advice in the first instance.

Alternatively you can make an online enquiry to Consumer Direct on their website at:
click here.

To contemptuously dismiss such an initiative without, it would seem, even having used the facility is hardly constructive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?