CONMAN selling PC advisor ?

cooshy 22:40 13 Jan 2003
  cooshy 22:40 13 Jan 2003

i received a phone call at work the other day asking if i would like to subscribe to pc advisor for 3 years for £45 YES! FORTY FIVE POUNDS!
the "pc advisor salesman" wanted me to give him my credit card detils over the phone - i didn't.
I asked him to call me at home that evening thinking i would ask him some probing questions about his offer and how he got my work number.
HE NEVER CALLED
DO I SMELL A RAT ???????????????????????????????

spuds 22:51 13 Jan 2003

Did you check 1471, for a trace-back!!.

cooshy 22:55 13 Jan 2003

i was in work at the time and our system does not allow us to access 1471

Djohn 23:11 13 Jan 2003

cooshy, you will find that other readers have been contacted and offered the same deal, It is legitimate. J.

Stuartli 23:30 13 Jan 2003

How did he know where you worked?

Forum Editor 23:42 13 Jan 2003

because you must have supplied that number when you originally subscribed. That's the only way he could have known if you think about it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:10 14 Jan 2003

For crying out loud......it is a good offer. If it was a hoax the CC company will give you back the money. Please take 2 doses of reality. *sigh x 10*

G

DieSse 01:10 14 Jan 2003

Would somebody call me in Spain and make me the same offer

Pretty please with sugar on top

;-))

Non Welsh Local 09:43 14 Jan 2003

But if it was a con and he gave his credit card details, would you then say "How stupid are some people *sigh*"
Surely it pays (excuse the pun) to err on the side of caution? To say the card credit company will cover it in the event of a fraud is taking an irresponsible view.

Perhaps you give your card details to people who you're not sure about or are suspicious of but I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Check it out first then go ahead if all is OK.

Ranger 12:24 14 Jan 2003

Gandalf, you really are getting a grump in your old age :¬)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?