Is this a con?

Al94 19:00 17 Oct 2006

or really likely to get a free laptop! click here

g0nvs 19:01 17 Oct 2006

Read the small print.

Al94 19:02 17 Oct 2006

I did

namtas 19:08 17 Oct 2006

As always, if the offer sounds to good to be true, it most certainly will be.

anskyber 19:08 17 Oct 2006

" For FreePay websites, we reserve the right to change the approval requirements necessary to receive a free item, including but not limited to increasing the number of friends required to get approved. We may also add or remove any product listed as an incentive at any time. If we replace a product, the new product may not be of equal value."

Hamster in treadmill comes to mind.

Al94 19:11 17 Oct 2006

That's what I thought and all the more surprising that it is an advert carried on this site on the poll results page in the right column! click here Didn't expect that sort of trashy advertising linked from here!

spuds 19:17 17 Oct 2006

McAfee Site Advisor puts out a spamming warning for this site. Watch your email box!.

anskyber 19:33 17 Oct 2006

"Didn't expect that sort of trashy advertising linked from here!"

Is it worth asking the FE if he has any views on the issue you have raised? The terms and conditions of this site have all sorts of disclaimers in (for understandable reasons, it would be impossible to check everything) so therein could be the answer.

anskyber 19:40 17 Oct 2006

"The Site may contain hyperlinks to other sites or resources that are provided solely for your convenience. IDG is not responsible for the availability of external sites or resources linked to the Site, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products or other materials on or available from such sites or resources."

Is what I had in mind.

Al94 19:47 17 Oct 2006

In fairness, it appears under the "Ads by Google" banner which may be some random selection but if I was hosting it on a website I would want some control of the content.

anskyber 20:43 17 Oct 2006

I agree. The problem ,if problem is the right word, is we are all very fortunate indeed to have this site and run in the manner it is.

Adverts allow this site to exist and monitoring each one is nigh on impossible given the resource available. I suppose we all just need to be careful and be cautious about links in the same way we would on sites we do not have the faith in when compared with this site. The purist in me would like to think there is editorial intervention for links which prove to be doubtful, I think there is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?