Computer training Courses.

tran1 11:37 02 Feb 2003

I've seen alot of those Computer training/building courses on sites such as Learn direct which will teach you how to maintain/build a PC and eventually you get a certificate and become a qualified engineer etc.

Has anyone here taken up any of these types of courses and what do you think of it? what do they do exactly? Give you a book to read with exam questions etc?

After coming to this forum for a fairly long time now, I've become really interested in PC Building (My first ever encounter was when I had to install a hard drive last week or so. LOL). I would like to learn how to become one of those fully competant people who know the in's and out's of PC building and maintenance. Funnily enough, I got the inspiration when an engineer came round to fix my computer.

In the end, I want to be able to build my own PC one day.

At the moment, I'm on my first year at university and I don't think I'll be able to take up another course.

Prices on the net are quite high, anyone recommend alternatives?

I will look at my local collleges next week to see if they run any courses, hopefully low fees.

spuds 12:18 02 Feb 2003

Your suggestion of looking at your local college for the computer courses is perhaps the best move initially. If time is really limited, then I would suggest that you look at video tape training courses. These are usually available via computer magazine adverts.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:56 02 Feb 2003

Having an extra qualification will do no harm but.........IT jobs are being dumped left, right and center. Many IT jobs have shifted to Mumbai and all points East and the ones that are let here are declining in pay terms. There is also an over-supply of people with IT qualifications. If you intend to make a career in IT I would think very carefully and bull up on the way in which IT is heading.

Building a computer is very easy as they are really a flimsy Meccano kit. Basically it is slotting in bits 'n pieces into pre-defined holders. The difficult bit is assembling a clutch of well matched parts. This may seem off-handish but it really is not too difficult as many will testify.

Get to know Windows like the back of your hand and then start looking at hardware/software configurations...Dummies or Idiots guides are excellent for this but you must feel comfortable mooching about in XP/ME/98. Once you feel OS competent you will then easily be able to build your own computer and be in a better position to see if you can justify handing over wonga for a course.

Incidentally, an OAP that frequents our local has just glued his first computer together. One year ago he had never use d a computer and started a CLAIT(?) free course, passing the modules rather quickly. “ weeks ago he had a big parcel of bits from Novatech and 4 hours later had a fully operating computer.

G

clarkyicm 13:50 02 Feb 2003

I agree with Gandalf. Best way is to have full knowledge of the operating systems first.
As soon as you know which bit plugs into which inside your case it is easy. The hard bit is getting the right configuration and setup fo your 'bits' which is where the operating system knowledge comes in.

I have been in the IT industry for nearly 20 years now (mainly on mainframes) and have only in the last 12 months put the hardware together for myself. Good fun doing it though!

My local college offers free courses via learn direct for both PC Upgrade and Repair and Web Authoring.

Did the Web Authoring course which was supposed to take 30 hours and did it in about 5 so ensure the course you choose has the correct level of content like I didn't!!!!

Forum Editor 14:04 02 Feb 2003

are worth heeding - corporate clients are pulling the purse-strings a tad tighter at the moment, and the market is awash with would-be network administrators and web designers. I must receive about half a dozen CVs a week from out of work web designers, and the chill breeze of budget cutbacks is wafting along plenty of corridors in industry right now.

Computer building - at least the mechanical side of it - is very easy, as has been mentioned, and I could teach a ten year old child to do it in a day or so. The difficult part, as Gandalf has suggested, is in choosing the right mix of components, and it's here that experience definitely counts. My advice is to forget computer-building courses and learn by doing it. There are thousands of tutorials on the web, and in magazines like PCA, and you'll progress at a faster pace by dipping your toe in the water.

tran1 18:13 02 Feb 2003

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I had looked about the web and found many courses at local colleges in my area on PC building. But now, I think I will take abit of time on the web and read up on the free tutorials etc that can be found on the web.

Thanks again.

Sir Radfordin™ 12:13 03 Feb 2003

Look at anything to do with Security and Firewalls and associated items. That is where the money and the work is going to be.

€dstow 13:05 03 Feb 2003

There is a computer consultancy next door to my studio here. They have a constant stream of quite well qualified people coming to their door enquiring after work. Some of them come here when they've failed next door.

By all means get the knowledge and qualifications but use it as a secondary possible source of making a living, not your first one.

They are very wise words from GANDALF <|:-)>, clarkyicm and Forum Editor.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017