Is this computer any good?

Jamfocus 03:08 27 Dec 2006

Came across this forum and it seems a good place to ask the following, plus to ask advice in the future.

Is this Dell Dimension E520...

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6300 Processor (1.86GHz, 1066MHz, 2MB)
Dell™ 19" Value Flat Panel (E197FP) - UK/Irish
2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x1024] Memory
320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
16x DVD +/- RW Drive
256MB nVidia® GeForce® 7300 Turbocache graphics card
Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability

It costs £600. I know the graphics card is not the greatest, but what about the rest. Will it run well?

Many Thanks.

sannybear 08:13 27 Dec 2006

Looks good other than the graphics which is decent enough if you don`t play games . One thing to remember is that Dell PCs are known to be difficult to upgrade , but this seems to be a branded card rather than integrated .

jack 08:49 27 Dec 2006

Dell is the top selling brand- they must do something right!
But they have a multiplicity of models and specs and picking the right one any given job can be brain aching.
More over they do all tend to be of an integrated design and build- which is fine nothing wrong with that- until that is at some time in the future you feel like adding bits to make it better[Upgrade it] here you will like as not have difficulty because- with the exception of perhaps an extra memory card- nothing else will be upgradeable.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:47 27 Dec 2006

I have never had a problem upgrading Dells. Extra HD and DVD can be plugged in as external and a graphics card just slips in. I think the early Dells were hard to upgrade but the new ones are easy-peasy. Having said that there are few people that would ever need to upgrade apart from more RAM, as most tend to use computers for basic functions. Go for the Dell, you will not be disappointed.

G

So Simple 17:50 27 Dec 2006

I've just bought an almost identical E520 from Dell and can assure you it will work brilliantly!

The only differences on mine are I went for 1gb of RAM, upgraded monitor and it has a different graphics card - ATI Radeon X1300 pro which is also a lower level card but unless you are playing cutting edge games works fine.

The service from Dell was outstanding and the whole experience oozed quality, from order to receipt in five days, a human at the end of the phone (take note PC Nextday and similar companies!).

I am a bit of an anorak and enjoy researching and while you could probably save £50-75 they are extremely competitive, especially if you choose the spec you want and call them directly to haggle a bit more!

I bought mine based on the brilliant advice from this forum.

Jamfocus 21:16 27 Dec 2006

Thank You for all the responses. They have all been helpful. Its especially nice to find someone who has purchased a computer similar.

I'll ask this in here also.

There is an option to select a Vista upgrade whcih can be redeemed by March next year. It costs £25 plus £11 p&p. Is it worth doing this?

Sic 21:46 27 Dec 2006

Plugging in lots of external drives into the USB ports is not upgrading though is it?! (you know what i mean).

Is it a PCI-E or AGP GFX slot do you know? (Though as u already know its got a poor graphics cad, probably not relevant.

I like Dell's, have one at work and a Dell laptop, reliable and well built.

lisa02 22:01 27 Dec 2006

Sic poor by what standard?

I am using the predecessor to that card the 6200SE and I have no problems with it, over a year now. I have a huge catalogue of games and they all run as sweet as anything.

Narnia, Black and White 2, FEAR, the SIMS 2, Cotn, Need for speed etc etc.

Jamfocus that's an excellent system for the price, you won't be dissappointed.

Jamfocus 00:43 28 Dec 2006

Sic, I believe its PCI-E.

And lisa02 its funny you should mention Sims 2, as it is one of the games that will probably be getting played on this computer. So its good to know it seems to run well with its predecessor

Sic 17:36 28 Dec 2006

Poor as in its £35- £40 graphics card that cannot run FEAR at anything like its intended resolution with any effects turned on.

At best its a super budget card, a decent budget card like a 6800 at the £120 mark would blow into next week if you actually want to see BF2/FEAR/HL2 as they are meant to look.

People confuse a card that can physically run a game with cards that make the game look as it was intended by the developers.

But as i said, thats not really relevant as Jamfocus has stated he is not an avid gamer, so its not really relevant.

Sic 17:38 28 Dec 2006

And the 6800 (my card) is poor compared to high end cards, dont get protective over what you have, it was just a statement of fact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017