compensasion from BT

iqs 17:46 18 Oct 2006

Hello,
Over the past 4-5 weeks I had a fault on my phone line which affected my 3MB B/B connection.Sometimes it was like I still had a dial up conecction,56k.

It was finally identified and fixed a few days ago.

For a month I was paying for a service I was unable to use,plus the many phonecalls to BT.I even bought a new modem to replace theirs.All at my expense.

Am I entitled to any form of compensastion?,and what is the best number to use when contacting BT.After a month I'm tired of pressing button one,then button 3.You know.....

Anyone else had a similar problem,and how did you resolve it with BT?.

Many thanks for any advice...Cheers

sean-278262 17:54 18 Oct 2006

Call up their customer service and request to speak to someone in authority. Request that you do not want to be put on hold. It has worked in the past for me when I have called one of the wonderful annoying call centres that these places love. Just tell them that you have paid for the service and not received all of it. I wouldnt expect to get the entire month back however as you had a service and they are not obliged to provide the full 3mbps all the time. However the modem is your own problem. If your old one was rented then they have to replace it. If the modem that you had was yours then you have to. However I cant see them paying for it.

spuds 18:48 18 Oct 2006

I think that you will find somewhere in the small print, BT have a let-out clause.

I had a problem in the past which one of their engineers failed to find first time round. The second engineer found the problem, and through that, BT reduced the charges slightly on the next bill.

961 18:57 18 Oct 2006

Write to the Chairman's Office, say how disappointed you are, and ask for a reduction in your next bill

Bapou 23:45 18 Oct 2006

From my experience with BT and two problems not of my own doing, a letter to Customer Service Dept requesting consideration of recompense was settled amicably.

I emphasise requesting, not demanding, is the better course. In my case a credit of one month payment each time was offered as a goodwill gesture even though they rightly emphasised terms and conditions in each reply.

I was happy with that and BT kept a customer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone