Compatible Inks with Canon Printers

flycatcher1 17:20 01 Jan 2010

I have a Canon ip3600 Printer which will not print correct colour pictures. Black text is OK, I have had the Print Head cleaned with no improvement.
The Printer is nine months old, I have heard that Canon is really sniffy about repairing fauly printers that have used compatible ink cartridges.
Any advice on this subject before I approach Canon would be appreciated.
Happy New Year to all Forum Members.

Grey Goo 18:39 01 Jan 2010

Put in a set of originals and don't mention other use. Will cost a bit, on the other hand it may solve the problem. Which compatibles do you use.

spuds 19:12 01 Jan 2010

If the problem appeared after using compatibles, then go back to the supplier and ask for their advice. Some compatible suppliers have a repair policy if the fault is with or due to their ink or cartridges, and the printer manufacturer will not provide help.

I have dealt with Canon on a number of occasions with their photocopiers and printers. I find the service received can depend on the person that you deal with initially.

flycatcher1 20:54 01 Jan 2010

Thanks for all prompt responses.
Initially I used Carts from a local Cartridge Shop but they were unchipped and so I moved to Inkrite Carts.
I have printed about 2000 equivalent 15X10 cm photos and wonder if this is about the limit for the print head
The cost of a new set of Canon carts would, I think, make any repair very expensive.

Distaff urgently needed pictures before Christmas and so I bought a Canon ip4700 in haste. Slightly better quality - but not much.

johnem 11:43 02 Jan 2010

Sometimes printer repairs can be more expensive than a complete replacement machine. Seems that you have already made that decision.
I use compatible chipped cartridges from "Inkredible" see link, click here in a Canon IP4600 and have not had any problem, so far.

ame 20:44 02 Jan 2010

I had similar problems with a Canon 455i a few years ago. Print head went duff, I reckoned, and costs too much to replace, so I bought an Epson. (My previous Epson had gone pop some years earlier - so they're no better, I suppose.) Worth trying Grey Goo's advice if you want to pursue warranty, but it won't of course cure the fault. If you feel you've already got a few years normal usage out of it, on the other hand, save the cost of the new genuine inks and buy a new printer. Try Kodak, for example?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?