combo drives

imzy 15:13 16 May 2004

Hi there.

I am considering buying a computer for a friend off ebay . I have seen one that looks good but it is a combo drive. I have two seperate drives on my own computer and was wondering if the combo drives were any good?

I take it that a combo drive means that you have a cd drive and a DVD drive in one but are there any major drawbacks to getting one of these? I assume this means you can only use on drive at a time but is there anything else I should know about?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

€dstowe 15:23 16 May 2004

A combo drive is usually a CD writer and DVD ROM in the same drive.

An ordinary DVD ROM will play CDs so it that is all you want, you can get a DVD drive for £15 - £20 from any on-line retailer.

Personally, I would get a CD writer and a DVD drive as separate units if you do need both.

€d

Stuartli 15:32 16 May 2004

A rewriter should be used for just exactly that - burning - as life expectancy is much lower than for CD/DVD-ROM drives.

If you buy a DVD-ROM drive for around £15-£20 from a top brand name such as Sony, you can add a CD-RW rewriter for £22 upwards with the current maximum write/rewrite/read speeds available.

It will also be cheaper than a combo unit and, if one part packs up, you won't be left with anything at all until it is repaired or replaced.

In addition, the DVD-ROM drive will allow you to watch DVDs and also install software and listen to audio CDs - they have two lasers, one for CD and the other for DVD disks.

Stuartli 15:37 16 May 2004

Some keenly priced DVD-ROM and CD-RW drive offerings:

click here

imzy 15:48 16 May 2004

Thanks guys.

I think I might just go for a computer with a CD drive and get a DVD drive and install it myself. That seems like the better thing to do and it might work out cheaper in the end.

Thanks again.

€dstowe 15:52 16 May 2004

Not only cheaper, a better setup!

Stuartli 16:23 16 May 2004

I presume you mean a DVD-ROM drive and a DVD rewriter?

A CD drive AND a DVD drive would be pointless - it's two drives compared with one DVD-ROM drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?