Civilisation IV poor software

AndyB123 17:37 25 Jan 2006

You would have thought by now (Civ IV) that they could have got it right. I have bought the latest in the line of Civ games , already have Civ I to III with the various extra scenario discs.

Why should I have to go through a very intensive graphics card drivers removal reinstallation followed by various tweaks to the game justy so that I can play the game.

If you bought a car and had to go through a similar farce, you would be justified in taking the manufacturer/sales agent for selling shody goods. Why is it that software does not come under the normal retail laws, ie 'goods must be fit for the purpose they are sold for'.

citadel 19:09 25 Jan 2006

I had been thinking that lately pc games had been improving as recent games like fear, call of duty 2, half life 2,and rome bi invasion all played right throgh with no errors or crashes to desktop. I have not bothered updating graphics drivers for ages and still use 66.93.

Jdoki 16:33 26 Jan 2006

Having played PC games for years I have seen very little change in the way set up routines work. Some are better than others. Some tweak their settings to optimise performance for your machine others leave you to sort it yourself.

Unfortunately in the world of PC's with the myriad of software and hardware configurations getting the game to run as well as possible on any one machine is very difficult.

I do find it unusual that you had to go through a full removal/update of your graphics drivers - but I fully understand the need to tweak settings for optimal performance.

Your analogy of 'fit for purpose' doesn't hold for PC's as it's unrealistic to expect every developer to test the game with every conceivable PC configuration of hardware and software. Even two machines set up identically may not perform the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?