Choosing the right laptop

jinksy 14:41 01 Aug 2007

Hi

I'm in the process of buying a new laptop for when I start my new job, I will mainly be using the laptop for office software and web surfing, but like to play the odd game every now and then and quite frequently use programmes like photoshop. I would like a laptop with a 15.4" screen, and I'm not too fussed about the size of the hard disk as I have an external hard drive already.

I have about £800 to spend and would like advice as to which laptop is best value for money, and is likely to last me the longest - I'ld rather spend a bit more money have the laptop for a few years rather than one that will blow up in a few months!!!

So far I have found the following laptops and any advice on which is the best or any possible alternatives I have not found would apreciated!!:

Acer TravelMate 5720G-302G16:
click here

Zoostorm 4-6623:
click here

Acer TravelMate 6465 WLMi:
click here

HP Business Notebook 6715b:
click here

Cheers

J B 16:37 01 Aug 2007

The HP that you found can be seen here click here Run the demo on the website, but I don't think that it is the fastest kid on the block. Both the acer's are well specified and should be faster. J.B.

The Brigadier 18:55 01 Aug 2007

To be honest Acer's support in recent years has gone down hill.
And for this reason i went for Toshiba & i'm glad i did.
Well built laptop & it was so easy to buy.
Suggest you also look at click here i buy a lot from them & they are 1st rate every time.

second best 01:26 02 Aug 2007

i have an hp pavillion laptop which cost me 1300 about 15 months ago. it was the only one in pc world that had a p4 3.4 gig cpu. i needed this raw power to use photoshop and premiere. i first bought the tosh er...qosmio... i can't remember. really nice multimedia machine, and 150 more than the hp, but it just didn't perform as well as i was led to believe, and it locked up severla times in two days. i took it back, and got the hp. much improved performance, just not as good at running multiple programmes, but great for photoshop, and burning dvd's.

all the other machines seemd to have dual core, but only 1.8 cpu's or the really top end tosh or sony have dual core 2.2's.

these still weren't as fast as the p4 3.4 i ended up with. it appears the only real benefit of dual core is running multiple programmes.

i think my point is, define or decied on what you'd like you machine to be able to do, and go seek it.

personally, i woudn't touch Acer.

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017