Choosing a netbook

bengo 09:12 25 Feb 2011

I'm looking to buy a netbook but need something with a slightly bigger screen, 11 to 12 inches, most netbooks seem to be 10.1 with an Intel Atom processor and when i read reviews of these machines the words that jump out are SLOW - SLUGGISH. I've looked at the Acer Ferrari which gets good reviews but is a bit expensive at £400. Ideally only want to spend £300-£350. Please dont suggest a 15.6 Laptop as these are too big for my needs. Thanks in anticipation.

Big L 266 19:40 25 Feb 2011

Hello.

bengo....After a great deal of deliberation and research for myself regarding a netbook,I settled for this one and bought it today.All the specs are as follows:-

Inspiron Mini 1018 BTS Netbook

LCD Back Cover:Obsidian Black
1 year of coverage included with your PC
McAfee® SecurityCenter 15 Month Subscription
Inspiron 1018(UK,FCG2)-N455(1.66GHz,667MHz FSB,512K L2 Cache)
1024MB 1333MHz Single Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x1024]
Internal Keyboard
Hard Drive:250GB Serial ATA (5400RPM)
Wireless:Wireless 802.11n Mini Card
1 Meter Power Cord
Primary 6-cell 48 WHr Lithium Ion battery
1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support included with your PC
Inspiron 1018 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
Integrated 0.3MP Camera
10.1" WSVGA TrueLife Widescreen Display(1024 x 600)
Software:MS Office 2010 Starter(Word Starter, Excel Starter)
30W AC Adapter
Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
No DataSafe Online Backup 2GB (Direct)
Genuine Windows® 7 Starter for Small Notebook PCs,32bit
Intel® Atom™ N455 Single Core Processor (1.66GHz, 667MHz FSB,512K L2 Cache
Logitech Optical Wired Mouse M115

I decided to get this having read many reviews on lots of different websites before settling on this one.I know its not got the greatest specs in any netbook.I bought it to work in conjunction with my Dell Studio 540 desktop,and so I can also work 'remote control' from another part of the bungalow by synchronising the two to work together. The mouse was an optional extra which is best for me.The total price delivered was a shade over £260 all-in.I believe it a very worthy price to pay and am looking forward to getting it next Wednesday.You'll find more on the Dell UK website.

I hope this will assist.

Big L 266

bengo 20:28 25 Feb 2011

Many thanks for your suggestion, will bear it in mind as it seems a reasonable price. Only problem i have is the screen size, really would prefer something slightly larger, getting old and eyes not what they were.

Big L 266 09:31 26 Feb 2011

Hello.

bengo....I sympathise with that one.The majority of netbooks I looked at are around that screen size sadly.It is possible to increase the text size if thats the problem.On my desktop I have the text in a larger format and it was very easy to make the small adjustment as well without affecting anything else.I wonder if this would help you? Just a thought.

Big L 266

chub_tor 11:12 26 Feb 2011

There are a number of 13.3inch screens out there now, the trouble with many of them is that like the 10 inch ones they come without a DVD drive. Those that do have the DVD drive such as the Toshiba Portege,are very expensive. The closest I could find to your price range is this one click here but it is refurbished.

sidecar sid 12:58 26 Feb 2011

If you don't mind refurbished
This Acer Ferrari
click here
May be of interest.

bengo 12:59 26 Feb 2011

Thanks for replies, just had an email from argos to say Acer Ferrari back in stock at lower price £349.99 plus free delivery, seems good to me

Acer Ferrari Laptop.
CPU and Memory:

•AMD Athlon 64 dual core L310.
•2GB DDR2 RAM memory.
•250GB hard drive.
Display features:

•11.6in display.
•Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
Graphics:

•ATI Radeon HD HD3200 graphics card with 256MB memory.
Interfaces and connectivity:

•3 USB ports.
•B/g/n wireless/WiFi enabled.
Multi-media features:

•0.3MP built-in webcam.
•Dolby sound system.
Operating system and software:

•Microsoft Windows 7 Premium.
General features:

•Up to 4 hours battery life.
•Weight 1.4kg.

Big L 266 15:14 26 Feb 2011

Hello.

bengo....That seems like a good deal as well from Argos as you get the extra screen size you wanted. I feel the only let-down is the battery life of 4 hours. I've also bought a cabled 'mouse' for my netbook as a 'treat' as its easier to hold.

My one with 'mouse' will just fit on my little portable dinner table I got from Aldi.That'll mean I can sit in my comfy chair with pillow support for my arthritic neck rather than my directors chair which doesn't have neck support.I hope it'll not be a problem to remote link the netbook to the desktop via my router.

I'm thinking we're both looking forward to our respective purchases soon. Another Windows system to learn for me.

Long live the netbook!

Big L 266

bengo 16:00 26 Feb 2011

Dont believe it, just went on now to order and its out of stock again, will leave a few days to see if they get more stock, if not, back to the drawing board. If I ever do manage to get one, will also be needing an external cd/dvd rw, more expense.

Forum Editor 17:10 26 Feb 2011

I would go for this one:

click here

Big L 266 19:41 26 Feb 2011

Hello.

bengo....Oh what a shame especially as you'd found one you clerly liked. I like FEs choice and I did consider it before settling on a Dell. Hope you're able to get your choice eventually. Dell tell me my one will be delivered on Monday. I'm quite looking forward to unwrapping and setting up from scratch never having had Windows 7 Starter.

Fingers crossed for you bengo.

Big L 266

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?