Choice of ISP

john bunyan 17:14 23 Oct 2009

I am near to deciding to move from Pipex / Tiscali due to poor dowload speeds - their promises have not been kept.
I am only interested in "broadband only" suppliers, and also only those with a one month rolling contract. My dowload usage is unknown - mainly iTunes, programmes such as iTunes etc.
I have short listed Zen and ADSL24. Price is a factor but service, reliability, a one month contract are more important. I also not wanting to keep changing e Mail addresses. I will say that Pipex, for me, have solved the spam problem but the speed issue seems to have defeated them.
Any views on the merits of the short list?(O2 a possibility if they will offer a one month deal.)

sunnystaines 17:28 23 Oct 2009

When you phone to cancel not time date and who you spoke to, it came in handy when pipex\tiscali denied cancellation with me recently.

sunnystaines 17:28 23 Oct 2009

should read note

john bunyan 18:17 23 Oct 2009

Yes, they are very difficult to communicate with - auto answers to e emails prevail. A pity an ISP who were the top about 10 years ago are so poor now.

RobCharles1981 18:22 23 Oct 2009

John

As far as I'm conerend for a one month rolling contacts you should give ADSL24 a go what have you got to loose?

john bunyan 18:26 23 Oct 2009

Nothing really, but Zen looks good , too, and maybe bigger? I really want to get it right as the hassle of e mail address change notification, for me is a deterrent. (why I have stuck with Pipex for so (maybe too) long). I'll just see what others think of these two on the short list. Pipex claim to be solving the problem, but I doubt it.JB

ajm 19:10 23 Oct 2009

ADSL24 and Zen are both very good ISP. With regards to email, why dont you consider getting yourself a domain name and this will allow you to have a email address for life and will not affect if you move ISPs

interzone55 20:26 23 Oct 2009

Take a look at O2, very good value, with unlimited downloads and decent speeds.

I moved from Demon, who struggled to give me 2 mbit/s to O2 in March and have now got a pretty steady 3.8 mbit/s.

If you live in an area with O2 kit in the exchange the price is £12.23 or £7.34 if you have an O2 mobile. If your exchange doesn't have O2 equipment then the price is £17.13.

Check ISP availability at your exchange here click here

O2 sign-up page click here

rdave13 20:59 23 Oct 2009

Like RobTheOrganGuru, changed from AOL to Entanet (ADSL24) and haven't regreted it. 1 month contract. My second choice would be O2 but don't think they have a one month contract. Might be wrong though.
One good thing about using web mail is that it doesn't matter about changing ISPs.

john bunyan 12:32 24 Oct 2009

ajm, alan14, rdave13. I will certainly look at web mail - any preferences? O2, I think , only has longer term contracts, and just in case they grt worse (however unlikely) I prefer the one month contract. I have heard again from Pipex and have given them a deadline for improvement, or I will ask for a MA Code to switch. My local exchange is not ADSL2 enabled so I am limited to a max of about 6.4 Mbps, although ADSL2 offer "up to 24 Mbps". I will mark this as resolved for now. Thanks to all who have replied. (No Zen users as yet!)

interzone55 12:49 24 Oct 2009

Googlemail (neé Gmail) provide a fantastic webmail service. They've had a couple of outages this year, but I've been using the service for 5 years now and the odd problem every now & again seems totally insignificant in light of the fantastic (and totally free) service they provide.

click here

GMX Mail is well regarded, but I've not used it
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017