Chinese Import Site... Legitamate???

dumb_haddik 21:32 07 Jul 2006

I am interested in purchasing an MP3/4 player from this Chinese import site (click here) but i'm not sure if it's legitimate or not, is there any way of telling?

Jackcoms 21:46 07 Jul 2006

Your link doesn't work

dumb_haddik 21:49 07 Jul 2006

click here

Spelling mistake in link

Jackcoms 21:52 07 Jul 2006

"Spelling mistake in link"

Why should there be a spelling mistake? You only need to copy/paste the URL.

dumb_haddik 21:56 07 Jul 2006

Yes, but i typed it,

Chinavaison .com

i thought it was

Chinavision .com

anyway, is there some sort of site that can tell me if these sorts of sites are legitamate, because the last thing i want is for my card details to be stolen.

Jackcoms 22:03 07 Jul 2006

I finally tracked down their address which is in China. If you need to return faulty goods that could make for rather a lot of postage.

I haven't yet found their phone number - which concerns me.

Let's put it this way. They haven't got a UK address. They may not have a phone number. Personally, I'd use a bargepole (bamboo or otherwise).

dumb_haddik 22:09 07 Jul 2006

I'm more worried about credit card fraud. It claims to accept paypal. Would this prevent me from having to hand out my card details?

Thanks for your help, i cant find the phone number either, i'm still trying

Jackcoms 22:15 07 Jul 2006
  fitshase 22:25 07 Jul 2006

This looks worrying from their site though:-

<<<
If you find out information about the import tax situation in your country, and you believe there are ways for you to minimize the taxes you have to pay (or eliminate the taxes altogether), WE ARE MORE THAN HAPPY TO FOLLOW YOUR INSTRUCTIONS regarding labelling, packing, declarations, invoices, etc. Just tell us what you need. >>>

It looks like they are willing to break the law by labelling the item as gift, etc. to avoid customs charges over here.

Personally I wouldn't use the site in China as you will have to ship items back if they are faulty and then (possibly) pay import duty on the returned item. Also, is the price difference worth the risk?

Fitshase

Stuartli 23:46 07 Jul 2006

Buy in the UK first - maximum financial security and backup if anything goes wrong.

If something seems too cheap or out of this world to be true then it probably is just that.

Stuartli 23:51 07 Jul 2006

Just one source of low cost MP3 players:

click here

which would probably work out much cheaper...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?