Cheap+reliable PSU/case combination ?

Solgoth 21:33 01 Feb 2006

I've been considering building my own pc for a while but I keep getting dismayed at the prices of all the components as I don't want to spend that much on it (no more than £600 overall, ideally). Is it just me, or have prices gone up since December?

Anyway, as I'm looking for ways to cut costs, I'd like to know if it was possible to get a cheap, trustworthy case/psu combination for around £40?

I want a simple, black midi tower, rather than a mini tower, with four internal drive bays for hard drives, and I need at least a 350w psu.

I had been looking at a £24 extremely cheap novatech case with a supposed 400w power supply, but should I be concerned about the reliability of the psu for that price? Anyone had experience with a novatech case?

There is an Asus brand case available for £40 with a 360w psu, but I don't really like its looks, I suppose I'd be willing to settle for it if I couldn't find anything else though. Is this likely to be more reliable?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

SG Atlantis® 21:53 01 Feb 2006

the words cheap and reliable don't usually go together. I wouldn't cut costs on the PSU.

Think about an athletic sprinter with one lung removed....

hzhzhz 22:26 01 Feb 2006

one of these kits perhaps.click here

jack 08:43 02 Feb 2006

I echo SG Atlantis.
You could look at what click here have to offer.

Self build will give you the precise spec you think you need of course, but you will pay more than a ready built with a similar spec.

HondaMan 08:52 02 Feb 2006
  Mr Beeline 17:03 02 Feb 2006

Hi

Komplett supply some decent bundles. click here

Jdoki 17:07 02 Feb 2006

I wouldn't recommend scrimping on the case or PSU. It's a bit of a false economy in my opinion.

There are a few good budget cases around... just needs a lot of research with Google to find the best reviews. If you are willing to stretch a little bit then the Cooler Master Centurion 530 will serve you well now and in to the future... It's about 50quid excl PSU.

Some people will advise buying a cheap PSU, but I think it's a bad move. Buy a Tagan and have peace of mind that you won't be risking the more fragile components, such as the CPU. Just because a PSU is rated at 350W (or whatever) it is no indication fo how it actually performs.

If I was building a machine to a budget, I'd rather downgrade my CPU than save money buying a cheap PSU.

961 19:11 02 Feb 2006

Perhaps I could say that all the computers I have built have used cases with psu's from either Novatech or Dabs.

None of them have cost more than £30 and none of them have failed yet. The oldest is still running at 5 yrs

Solgoth 21:13 02 Feb 2006

Thanks for the suggestions all. I already had a look at barebones type things but came to the conclusion that they don't have exactly what I want, generally, I'm probably going to build it myself, I was just wondering if I could get a good psu/case combination for fairly cheap.

961, when you say you have used cases with psus from novatech do you mean a case and psu together from novatech or just the psu from novatech?

I don't have the budget for the case and psu to spend the £90 or whatever I would have to in order to buy a big brand name psu and case.

Psus seem to be about £40 each..

Are cheap psus supposed to be a risk because of power surges or a lack of protection? If so, would using a plug with power surge protection help?

Mr Beeline 22:27 02 Feb 2006

Hi

How about something like:

click here

I've bought from these people before and had no problems what so ever.

Nice case, fair enough a bit on the plain side, but still a decent looker and a branded PSU all well within budget. Loads of other to look at as well on this site.

Good luck.

Totally-braindead 22:57 02 Feb 2006

I've bought a few Novatech cases and never had one fail or cause problems. The trouble is they were all fairly basic PCs which wouldn't stress the processor, I'm using a Novatech case just now as a matter of fact but because my system has quite a few high power components on it I bought a seperate power supply, a Tagan one. If you build a basic PC then it'll be fine but if you start adding extra hard drives, more powerful graphics cards, card readers etc etc then it will cause problems.
You mention wanting space for 4 hard drives which suggests to me you want to use 4 hard drives, if this is the case then I'd buy a more powerful branded power supply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires