Cheapish compact wanted for holidays

De Marcus™ 12:00 15 Nov 2006

Budget is £200. Around 5-7 megapixels.

Ideally should be quite small, large LCD, point and shoot mode for the wife and more advanced modes for me.

I've been looking at the Samsung Digimax L70 which I really, really like the look of but can't find many reviews, the same goes for the Samsung NV3. My other thoughts were the SONY DSC-W100 or the SAMSUNG NV10 (slightly over budget).

Any help choosing?

lisa02 12:48 15 Nov 2006

I have the Sony w50 and love it...

The sony's tend to have all presets (just turn the dial) very little advanced/manual features.

It really is simplicity for a P&S and it's gorgeous.

De Marcus™ 14:27 15 Nov 2006

Thanks lisa02, I'll take that into consideration.

HondaMan 14:37 15 Nov 2006

I have the sony T30. Its great. Have a look at click here and see if you can find anything there.

wjrt 15:57 15 Nov 2006

go with your wife to the local branch and do a hands on test ,check for ease of use , control accessibility etc then decide which is best. go home do a search for best price then back to jessops as they recently advertised that they will price match even on internet prices

IPA 16:46 15 Nov 2006

click here
I have just bought this one. Can be picked up for about £230 at click here
Image quality is really good ,with enough controls to satisfy the needs of both casual and more experienced users.

IPA 17:09 15 Nov 2006

Sorry, I forgot to give you this link to a recent review of the A710is click here

BJN 18:32 15 Nov 2006

take a look at the Fuji E900 a 9mb camera for £149.99 from Amazon, I've just had one delivered and it just what your looking for, simple auto for the wife a some manual control for you. The pictures are so fantastic.

take a look here and read the reviews on the site.

click here

hard to beat this camera for the money and picture quality

Bj

BJN 18:45 15 Nov 2006

btw the memory card dx in this case is less than £20 for a 1gb from Amazon. I bought from Amazon's and not from their market place suppliers.

I took a look a Jessops if you go for a price match take a print out of the internet price for price matching and it must be from a UK based internet supplier, in stock and include any delivery charges.

But as I'm a great believer if a shop asks a higher price why should I give them my custom. If they want to be the cheapest they should price their goods accordingly. Price matching is a big conit allows them to charge a higher price to most customers who don't have the knowledge to check prices on-line.

Bj

Forum Editor 19:00 15 Nov 2006

I'm after a small camera to tuck in my pocket when travelling. I have a digital SLR, but it's too big to lug everywhere, and I'm beginning to realise that some of these small cameras can give SLRs a run for their money nowadays. I know they can't compete in a purely technical sense, but I'm not worried about that.

IPA 20:02 15 Nov 2006

Just a thought! One of the features that is very important to me is an optical viewfinder in addition to the LCD screen. I find that in certain bright lighting conditions it is easier to use a viewfinder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?