"Cheaper" version/upgrade QuarkXpress >4.02 ?

Diemmess 17:39 21 Oct 2003

The cross-platform PC to Mac snags, between me (editor of twice yearly village magazine) and friendly local printer is nearly solved.

To complete the last link and avoid a route via a distant print bureau, I need a copy of QuarkXpress version 4.04 or later. I have v 4.02 which is not able to accept necessary Xtension filters.

Have spent a long time looking around the net, UK only because I am not prepared to go international. Several ads. mention the software, some an upgrade which would be fine, but what is in their index, is not on their shelves.

Can anyone suggest a source which is lots cheaper than the current £999 for a new version 6 which I do not need !!!

Diemmess 20:15 22 Oct 2003

Not anyone's cuppa tea! ........ Oh well it was worth a try.

Djohn 20:24 22 Oct 2003

Give it more time. Quark is, as you say an expensive program and one that probably is not used by the majority of forum users.

I realise you've ticked the thread, but I would keep refreshing it every few days if I was you, you never know. Good luck, hope you find a copy. j.

spuds 22:57 22 Oct 2003

This company deals in the top business and industry specials software click here But I notice that their QuarkXPress starts from £1030. Sorry Diemmess, unable to help further.

MichelleC 09:13 23 Oct 2003

They have gone up in the world. When I used it on Macs for DTP in 80's the initial prog wasn't pricey, nor the many upgrades.

Diemmess 10:43 23 Oct 2003

Thanks Djohn,spuds and MichelleC.

Nothing new in this tale, typical marketing reasons - if you need something in a niche market the price will be high. The £999 is ex-vat!

It would be nice to have modest upgrade for a much much more modest fee..... I don't need it that much, its just the disappointment of the spoilt child in me who can't have a new toy!

MichelleC 15:29 23 Oct 2003

I also used Pagemaker, but liked QE better. But PM is a lot cheaper, even now.

Diemmess 17:30 23 Oct 2003

There are irons in the fire......... but - the latest offer of help came from design-business-owner-daughter who has offered me her old Mac G3 laptop.

I am split-minded about that because just as she hates PCs and all their hassel (she hates computers -full stop)- I don't want to start a new game with Macs. More important,where would I find a Mac helproom forum like this one?

Djohn 18:08 23 Oct 2003

I think you will find quite a few Mac users in the forum, FE. and Tarran are just two that spring to mind. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?