Cheap DVD player...worth a look

BeeWee 17:33 16 Feb 2004

Just seen a multi-regional capable dvd player on amazon for £29.99 including p&p here are the details:

Yamada DVD 2500 Multi-region Capable DVD Player

Compact design - 380 x 50 x 285 mm

PAL/NTSC Playback

Multiple CD/DVD media support

MP3 CD compatibility

3D virtual surround modes

Smart Equaliser audio modes

Tim1964 17:36 16 Feb 2004

Shows up the 'rip off' prices for the pre-recorded discs though, doesn't it. When you can buy the hardware for the cost of 2 films!

Sparrowhawk 09:31 17 Feb 2004

Or the 'rip off' price for a PC/DVD to TV cable in PC World, Dixons...
I thought I could find a cheaper way than a proper DVD player with this cable.
Seems that the £5 difference is in favour of this DVD player, #1 of Best sellers on Amazon UK.

wags 10:19 17 Feb 2004

Sorry to be a kill joy, but generally IMHO as with most products you get what you pay for in terms of picture, sound, build quality, etc....This, sounds too cheap !

It's the same with printers.With replacement cartridges etc almost equalling the cost of the hardware. Although recent reviews in a magazine on cheap dvd players, gave rather poor reviews of machines priced at less than £70. For those who want a decent budget dvd player, the Toshiba sd330e is a good buy and can be bought for less than £100. It was available at Amazon, from where i got mine. Not sure if they still sell it though.

pro747 11:33 17 Feb 2004

I bought the Yamada DVD mentioned for my son's bedroom at Xmas to use with his 14" portable & its a very impressive bit of kit for the price.
I agree with the other comments though, in that it cannot compare with a £100+ unit expecially when played on a full size TV with a decent sound system.
But if you are looking for something that will play just about any disc thrown at it & will be used on a portable TV - its a terrific buy.

Stuartli 12:43 17 Feb 2004

The DVD player sold at Asda for around £30 is said to play any type of disk dropped in its tray.

However, wags is right in that you get exactly what you pay for it terms of reliability and quality.

Asda has a large range of electronic and household goods such as kettles and toasters at almost stupidly low prices and, until quite recently, offered a three year guarantee.

It seems it now has warehouses full of returned faulty goods covered by that three year backup and has since shelved it.....:-)

I bought my mother the next model up from the one above (a Yamada DVD 5520) for my mother at Xmas. It cost £39.99 delivered and my Mumsy is chuffed to bits with it.

While I agree that you do in general get what you pay for I tested the machine prior to Xmas alongside my Sony DVD player which costs over three times the price. I can honestly say that I couldnt see very much of a difference and certainly not enough to justify the extra £100 that I paid.

Stuartli 13:53 17 Feb 2004

Quite a few of these products are produced by Sampo click here and rebadged by other manufacturers, in the case of one model by Sharp.

Some examples:

click here

It's nothing new - many major brand names rebadge other manufacturers' products under their own name as it would be quite impossible to produce every one of their offerings themselves.

rickf 14:23 17 Feb 2004

Bought a cheap one from Aria. Its multi-region and will play all the dvd formats w/o any probs. My more expensive one would want to touch DVDRWs at all. Not even +-Rs.

wags 14:28 17 Feb 2004

Dare I say it, but for a real quality DVD player, fully modded for multi-region, I can highly recommend Techtronics: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?