Cheap Base Unit Wanted

Jake_027 00:19 22 Dec 2008

I haven't been on the forums for some time and obviously I'm not up to date with prices and the best spec desktops anymore. I'm looking for a cheap base unit (no monitor needed) around £200 or cheaper and would appreciate a few pointers :)

Thanks in advance

GaT7 00:47 22 Dec 2008

What are the various things you'll use it for? G

The Brigadier 08:44 22 Dec 2008
  spuds 11:17 22 Dec 2008

Check out a 'bare-bones' system, which a number of manufacturers may offer. Novatech being one such company, and their website will provide some information for possible selection.

Jake_027 14:39 22 Dec 2008

I will be using it for basic tasks-internet, word processing, and some low end photo editing. I was looking at getting a model with an intel dual core processor. Are there any really low end dual core processors that I should avoid?

Cheers

GaT7 15:36 22 Dec 2008

"Are there any really low end dual core processors that I should avoid?" - for the tasks you'll be carrying out? Absolutely not! I still use a single-core CPU & DDR RAM in one of my PCs - to do those things & more.

A few months ago, Dell were doing basic dual-core PCs ranging from £140-180, which included an OS. These are in the £210 range now, e.g. click here. For once their RAM upgrade (to 2Gb at least) is not overpriced.

If you were to build your own & don't mind using a free version of Linux, you may get a better spec for £200. G

Jake_027 16:16 22 Dec 2008

Hmm, the vostro looks good, are home users allowed to purchase them? I would build my own but I'd rather have the warranty for piece of mind. Thanks for the help though, thats exactly what I was looking for!

GaT7 18:53 22 Dec 2008

Yes, home users may purchase them. Put your surname in the Business name field, but only if you have to.

One thing to be aware of is that there are no 7-day returns with this like a Home buyer would be entitled to (full T&C regarding Consumer/Home & Business buyers click here). G

Stuartli 19:50 22 Dec 2008

Don't forget BigPockets(!):

click here

GaT7 20:03 22 Dec 2008

Yes Stuartli, I did think of them, but if you look closely they're relatively poor for the money compared to the Dell - which comes with an OS btw. A comparable dual-core PC at BigPocket is £255 click here, but w/o an OS. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires