Cheap alternative to MS Access?

Pat.B 20:31 23 Dec 2006

Does anyone know of a cheapish database management system suitable for a beginner?

Diodorus Siculus 22:31 23 Dec 2006

The openOffice database may serve as a starting point but I don't know how good it is for beginners.

Diodorus Siculus 22:31 23 Dec 2006
  Woolwell 23:51 23 Dec 2006

You could try the MS Works Database. But which program you eventually use will depend on what you want the database to do. I always recommend looking at what results you want to get out of the database ie what questions are you going to ask of it and how do you want the results.

wiz-king 08:46 24 Dec 2006

Try the OpenOffice one,it is very good and free.
One big warning, the Works version I have here is not in the least compatable with Access although both are Microsoft products. This means trouble if you try to share data with another user whou does not have the same program. The OpenOffice one is in most respects for the average user.

Diodorus Siculus 09:04 24 Dec 2006

click here

Staroffice now freely available via VuNet

Simsy 22:30 24 Dec 2006

if you want so compatibility with Access. It's not perfect, but thtey can read each others tables, if you create the database as an .mdb file.

click here

God luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Pat.B 15:48 25 Dec 2006

Thanks everyone. I'll look into your suggestions.

Pat.B 19:37 11 Jan 2007

For the sake of anyone else with a similar query, I went for the Ability Office Database which was really cheap, and so far does everything I want. The Help facility is very clear and easy to follow. Many thanks Simsy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?