charge for a domain name

tugtac 20:56 18 Sep 2008

my isp wants to charge me £50 to register a domain name. The last time i queried this charge they told me that it was compulsory and if i did not pay it they would terminate my connection.
So, does every one with a broadband connection have to pay for a domain name, (for which i have not the slightest use?)

Kevscar1 21:40 18 Sep 2008

suggest you change ISP. I have been with various over the years and never heard of this.
With sky now, cheapest around and never had any problems.

Forum Editor 23:29 18 Sep 2008

Your ISP may have a rule about this, but it's entirely unnecessary, and I suggest that you look for another ISP.

tugtac 10:50 19 Sep 2008

many thanks problem sorted, gave isp a flea in its ear
pplimsol

spuds 10:55 19 Sep 2008

Just a point of interest, who was the ISP!.

I own a few domain names, and I have never been asked to make any payments to an ISP. Companies like 1&1 or 123 who provide domains and various hosting packages, are a very different thing.

tugtac 12:07 19 Sep 2008

spuds, its namesco, I believe i was mislead in so far as i was given to understand i would lose my e mail if i did not pay the domain charge of £33. in spite of explaining i did not want a domain but i distinctly recall them telling me it was a requirement under the law so i paid it.
I am now somewhat wiser so i pursued the matter and find that i was indeed "mislead"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?