changing vista to xp?

rickf 14:22 02 Feb 2008

Hi,
I have my eye on a laptop with intel celeron 1.73 ghz, 1g memory and comes with vista premium. I am told that the processor does not cut it with vista premium and I am thinking of installing XP in it once bought. Heard terrible stories about this process. Any opinions pls?
Thanks

rickf 15:13 02 Feb 2008

bump

Totally-braindead 15:40 02 Feb 2008

You've really put this thread in the wrong Forum, it should be in either the helproom or better still the vista forum.

That aside, if you did wish to put XP on a PC with Vista preinstalled you would first need to buy a copy of XP so that adds £60 minimum on the price of the laptop. And before you even think about it I would check out the manufacturers website for this laptop and see if the drivers are there for this laptop for XP. If they aren't then forget it. No XP drivers means you might not get bits of it to work under XP and you'd be wasting your time.

Now if the drivers do exist be aware that some companies might consider this a major change and it might effect your warranty, they might refuse to repair it if its no longer running on Vista.

My opinion is that you are right, a 1.7 ghz Celeron and I have seen one running Vista Basic with 1 gig of memory was far too slow. Adding another gig of memory boosts things up considerably but even then its not the fastest thing out there. Personally I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and would save up a bit more cash and buy a higher spec laptop with Dual Core and 2 gig memory.

Totally-braindead 15:46 02 Feb 2008

Oh and just had another thought, if the laptop comes with Vista preinstalled and you don't have a windows disk and something does go wrong you then are left with no way of reinstalling Vista.

rickf 15:51 02 Feb 2008

Thanks!! That does it for me. DEcision made-NO GO

Totally-braindead 16:02 02 Feb 2008

rickf if you look in the Vista Forum you will find some that have done it so it is possible but I did see a post from someone a month or two ago who had done it but found bits of the laptop didn't work and it turned out he hadn't checked for XP drivers first. He then found once he had XP installed that the laptop only had Vista drivers so was stuck. Don't know what he ended up doing. Perhaps he reinstalled Vista if he had the disk I just don't know.
I only posted with my opinion and I personally couldn't be bothered with all the hassle and would prefer getting a decent laptop running Vista or getting a lower spec laptop with XP, you can still get them you know. But you do have to look about.

rickf 16:19 02 Feb 2008

Hi,
Thanks for the quick suggestions. I have not been able to find a reasonably priced laptop with XP. They seem to be going with Vistas only now. Will continue to search. I agree I don't want to buy hassles, just not worth it. I also don't need duo core and vista. At least not for now.

Totally-braindead 18:09 02 Feb 2008

How cheap do you want? Heres a Novatech one that gives you the option of XP click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?