Change ISP/ Webmail Recommendations

SteveBut 20:37 18 Feb 2008

Hi,
I'm currently with Homecall for my ISP, but they have recently been bought by Pipex & the service is now totally rubbish. They restrict bandwidth all evenings & weekends, block P2P traffic and even at low peak periods, my speeds are poor. I struggle to play games, and as for using P2P software, forget it.
Upon contacting Homecall, the advisor admitted I should look elsewhere in the market.

As a result, I'm looking for a cost effective ISP that doesn't do any sort of traffic shaping / bandwidith restriction and allows P2P traffic.

In addition, I'm now going to ditch my homecall webmail account & would appreciate any recommendations of standalone webmail, so if I change ISP again in future, I don't have to change my email address.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

MAJ 21:06 18 Feb 2008

For webmail try Googlemail, it's about the best. Most ISPs will monitor P2P traffic, most will have a "fair usage policy", so if you're over-doing it, they will pounce.

SteveBut 21:19 18 Feb 2008

I appreciate ISPs having a fair usage policy, but when my average d/l data for the past 3 months has been less than 6 GB per month, I get frustrated. I hardly reckon this is overdoing it!!
I've been looking around at NewNet & Be seem to be Ok ISP's - anyone got any views / experiences on these two , or any others I should consider.
I think Googlemail will win it hands down for the webmail.
Cheers

MAJ 21:39 18 Feb 2008

6GB isn't excessive I agree, SteveBut. Personally I don't use P2P a lot, other than to download some American TV programs/episodes. I'm with Talktalk at the moment and don't have any complaints and I do get good download speeds at all times. They allow 40GB per month, so if you're averaging 6GB, they might be worth a try if you also need a good phone supplier. £20.50 per month all in, includes Phone, free anytime calls to 01 and 02 UK numbers, free calls to 36 international destinations, line rental and an 8Mbit Broadband connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?