Cd-rom drive replacement

SB23 18:47 26 Sep 2006

I am eventually going to get round to replacing the rom drive as it has now really given up the ghost, the draw opens when it feels like it, its making a weird noise etc, you get the idea.

What I would like to know is, what are people swapping these with, all are quite cheap, but do I go for a DVD writer or just the basic cd type?

I do like the sound of the DVD writers, as I know they do both types, but do I go expensive or the other?
What do I get?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Stuartli 19:35 26 Sep 2006

A CD-ROM drive is around £8 to £10, yet you can get a top brand DVD rewriter for between £18 and £25.

However, it's worth getting both a new DVD-ROM pur(about £12-£15) and a DVD rewriter and only use the latter purely for burning (their longevity is very much shorter than a ROM drive).

Use the DVD-ROM for playing audio CDs, DVDs, installing software etc.

GaT7 19:49 26 Sep 2006

I agree with Stuartli. click here to look at some. G

SB23 20:18 26 Sep 2006

Thanks guys, I've been looking at some, but wasn't sure about them.
The sony was the first one that I looked at on Ebuyer, and is so far my favourite.

SB23 20:41 07 Oct 2006

Will close this now.

As Stuartli suggested, will replace both drives as they are both on the fritz, with what he suggested to do.
With the amount that I will want to backup, the DVD option is best, as opposed to cd's and cd-rw.

Thanks again

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?