cd rewriter

User-171FC185-ABBA-4B55-BB893621075DB90C 15:36 15 Jun 2003

can I record on a 48 speed recordable disk on a 52 speed cd rewriter?

thanks

powerless 15:43 15 Jun 2003

Yes.

The writer will be able to write at different speeds.

It should be able to write at 48X.

thanks

Mysticnas 18:23 15 Jun 2003

should be able to record upto the speed they are.

example, your 52x writer should be able to write in speeds from 12 all the way upto 52.

Stuartli 19:38 15 Jun 2003

But it's wiser to burn at slower speeds than the maximum - in this case say 32x - which would prove more reliable in the long run.

Just because, for instance, your car may be capable of traveling at 100mph doesn't mean that you drive at that speed all the time.

Rewriters do not have the life expectancy of CD/DVD-ROM drives, so using them to burn at lower than possible maximum speeds will help reliability and longevity; this applies equally to those with lower write speeds such as 24x and 32x where burn speeds could be, say, 16x and 24x respectively.

Lead 21:43 15 Jun 2003

I have read the opposite.

A 52x (or any other) CD-RW is designed to write at that speed. If you always write at, say, 16x then the drive is working for longer at a speed it doesn't like. It could overheat and could reduce it's lifecycle. (All this is from a dedicated CD/DVD-writer forum.)

My advice would be to write as fast as you can without any errors being created. Just let your software/burner assess the discs and let them burn as fast as they can. So, if you insert a 16x disc, it will know and tell your CD-RW to write at that speed. If you insert a 48x disc, it will know and tell your drive to write at 48x.

Stuartli 22:02 15 Jun 2003

Sorry, but I don't subscribe to your theory wherever it came from. A device will normally get hotter the faster it is used, not when running slower.

I suspect that the particular drive in question was used in a poorly ventilated case.

Using what is basically a CD-ROM drive at 32, 48 or 52x write speeds is way beyond the original concept of a CD player.

It's remarkable that manufacturers have been able to raise speed to such levels, although it did take some considerable period of time.

However, it has been known for CD, CD-ROM and DVD/DVD-R media etc to shatter if used at such speeds, although it is still comparatively rare.

For the sake of a few seconds is it really worth using a rewriter at maximum speeds and potentially shortening its life span?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?