CD burner/card reader

anchor 09:52 17 May 2004

I have just come across a new gadget that will burn picture images from your card direct to a CD. It will also play audio CD`s.

It`s called CD Photo Store & costs £150.

click here

Diodorus Siculus 10:11 17 May 2004

Interesting and no doubt will have a market. 'Not sure that I would spend £150 for the convenience though.

As an aside, my biggest gripe with these multi readers though is the difficulty in getting one to read xD cards - most other formats are supported, but rarely xD. Does anyone know of a multireader with xD support?

Stuartli 10:26 17 May 2004

Freecom makes a CD-RW internal rewriter which does the same thing - and at lower cost; just over £40:

click here

There's also a similar product from Benq but the only place I've seen it advertised is on the website of the retail outlet run by two teenagers in Aberdeen - can't remember the business name.

Stuartli 10:31 17 May 2004
  Diodorus Siculus 12:04 17 May 2004

Stuartli - the Freecom burner seems to need a computer to work; as I understand it, the CD Photo Store is a stand alone item.

Thanks for the links to the card readers - shows how long since I looked for one!

byfordr 12:26 17 May 2004

click here £11.74, had about 10 of these for friends and family, do the lot including xd.

R

Diodorus Siculus 12:29 17 May 2004

byfordr - thanks - good price too. One on order now.

anchor 12:30 17 May 2004

Diodorus Siculus: you are correct.

The Freecom is an internal device, & needs a computer to work; whereas the CD Photostore does not. Hence, the high price. Might be useful for someone going on an extended trip.

Myself, I take my laptop with me and transfer the images from the card to the hard drive. Don`t go on extended trips though; 3 weeks max.

Stuartli 14:04 17 May 2004

I should have read the details a little more carefully as I immediately assumed it was purely an external CD-RW rewriter...:-)

Somewhat expensive though despite its other roles.

On the other hand I didn't know, until about two months ago, that you could buy an internal CD-RW rewriter with a built-in card reader - not that there seems to be a gigantic choice - for only about £10-£15 more than standard models.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?