Card Fraud

laurie53 20:25 04 Sep 2008

Just had a call from my bank about dubious transactions on my debit card.

However, that's not what my thread is about as they picked it up before I was even aware of it, but one of the transactions was a £50 mobile phone top up.

Now surely that can be traced to a phone and therefore an individual?

Monoux 20:45 04 Sep 2008

As far as I know you can wander into a mobile phone shop by a Pay As You go phone with cash and wander out again. Nobody knows who you are

pchelper001 21:37 04 Sep 2008

It all depends how the card was used for the top up. If the card was used directly to top up the phone, ie. from an atm, or via the p.a.y.g phone itself, then it is entirely traceable, and the mobile user may/could be caught. It is up to the bank whether they involve the police to deal with the case, as it is the banks money that the fraudsters are using, presumably not yours, as i hope the bank will refund you any money lost.

bjh 21:58 04 Sep 2008

I know the law sounds stupid, but you'd have to prove the top-up was actually made by the phone user. He'd claim somebody else had topped his phone up using the card. All you need is the telephone number and network (or SIM ID).

tillybaby 06:34 05 Sep 2008

They probably used your card to buy a £50 credit voucher and so can't trace them.

laurie53 08:03 05 Sep 2008

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017