In Car GPS info needed

iscanut 19:08 24 Nov 2009

Am looking to buy my wife a GPS for her car. She does not need an all singing and dancing one, and only requires the UK not rest of Europe. It needs to have a good clear screen and easy to use/program, without my help ! Cost needs to be up to say £150 or so. Can anyone recommend any one in particular or a web site that I can use to do comparisons etc.. Thanks,

AlanHo 19:59 24 Nov 2009

Look at the Garmin Nuvi 255W.

Easy to use. Turn by turn voice directions. Full post code navigating.

No frills but easy to use and reliable.

Nice and slim to slide into a ladies handbag along with all the other stuff.

Google for suppliers - around £100

mikef. 11:41 25 Nov 2009

to back up AlanHo in the latest ?Which survey last month all the top rated ones were Garmins, must admit I'm a bit biased as I use a Garmin as well

anchor 12:31 25 Nov 2009

Also consider the TomTom 530;

click here

Available for £126, if you shop around. TomTom`s have a latest map guarantee, available in the first 30 days after purchase.

iscanut 09:48 26 Nov 2009

Thanks, will look at TomTom and Garmin ranges.

Monoux 21:57 26 Nov 2009

I bought a Garmin but found the maps were out of date, despite downloasding the latest just after I purchased. The speed camera warnings went off at sights where the camera had been removed 6-7 years previously. The local information e.g. nearest petrol station sent me to a garage that had shut down 4 years previously. The nearest Police station showed as being 28 miles away but there was an area headquarters within 2 miles.

Thinking the unit was faulty I got it exchanged but the new one wss just the same.
This was then exchanged for a Tom Tom snd I've been more than happy with it.

Spark6 10:15 27 Nov 2009

Your info on the Garmin is welcome, would you please post the model number of the TomTom you bought.

AlanHo 10:27 27 Nov 2009

WE all have our favorites.

A ggod resource to do some independent research is the Pocket GPS forum

click here

Monoux 07:25 01 Dec 2009

Spark6 --Sorry only saw your note this morning -- it is a TomTom XL Traffic Europe 22

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?