Canon S1 IS digital camera

joelmb 19:14 30 Mar 2004

I'm looking forward to purchasing said camera in a month or two, but as its so new (was released this month) I'm waiting for some guinea pigs to test it first ;) I've only read the usual US sites dcreview /steve's-digicams so far.

So has anyone splashed out on this one yet? If so what's the verdict?

FE any plans for a review anytime soon?

joelmb 23:43 17 May 2004

Thought I'd bump this up in case anyone has since bought this camera and has any views?!

anchor 09:32 20 May 2004

No, have not got this camera, but Canon do make very good ones.

Another favourable review you may not have seen:

click here

Another forum dedicated to digital photography

click here

joelmb 11:40 20 May 2004

Thanks, but the top link goes to a trance track, and whilst quite good I didnt quite see the relevance! ;)

anchor 20:03 20 May 2004

I do not know what you mean by a "trance track".

I thought the conclusion, combined with sample pictures, was most relevant.

Conclusion:

Canon's S1 combines capable automatic digital photography with some really advantageous features. The optical zoom was as powerful as I expected, although I personally found it as useful for capturing candid-style photos of friends and family, or easy close-ups of small objects, as I did for zeroing in on distant subjects or scenes. (I strongly recommend the S1 for parents who want to snap digital shots of their kids; with its telephoto zoom lens, it's a fantastic way to capture a moment without getting close enough to intrude upon it.) And the Image Stabilizer did a wonderful job of correcting for my unsteady shooting style.

Colors were bright and edges were crisp, thanks to Canon's renowned DIGIC processor and accompanying technologies; I didn't have noticeable problems with fringing or noise. The S1's autofocus was sophisticated enough to produce the kinds of images I love, with an in-focus subject in the foreground and a pleasingly out-of-focus background. The S1 handled lower-light shooting exceptionally well — I especially liked the Slow Shutter setting. And build-wise, I appreciated the smooth, silent, zoom motor, the solid body and the flip-out LCD.

joelmb 21:48 20 May 2004

Thanks anchor, that's a good review. I'll definitely be parting with my cash now.

(When I tried it yesterday the top link opens real media player and plays a trance dance music track! It works again now though. Must have been some error with tinyurl I guess.)

Anyway thanks!

anchor 19:50 21 May 2004

You are welcome joelmb.

Please post back with your opinions when you have tried out the camera.

joelmb 16:04 16 Jun 2004

bump

hugh-265156 00:53 17 Jun 2004

this is a fantastic site for camera reviews click here

you will be able to view,download,print and compare shots taken with this camera against others. it gets a nice review also.

joelmb 23:13 01 Jul 2004

Love the reviews. Anyone actually got this camera yet? ;)

joelmb 11:25 18 Mar 2005

I've had said camera for just under a year now, it is quite simply superb. (this is just to 'esolve' this post btw).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?