Canon Pixma IP4300

bruno 11:04 02 Mar 2008

A word of warning should you ever get a paper jam on this printer. It may be destined for the rubbish bin as it appears incurable. I have a 15 month old one of these and I had one sheet of paper jammed in. I removed it carefully and also made sure no torn bits left in there. I followed all the instructions(I should say both) I received from 2 Canon service agents and also e mailed them twice, only to be told to contact there repairers in Luton. There I was quoted £1 more than the cost of a new printer for a repair. It would seem to me that the electronics got their knickers in a twist and would not reset. You talk about built on obsolescence!I gave up and bought a different one in the end.

Clapton is God 11:30 02 Mar 2008

I don't think that we can simply blame the Canon iP4300 (I also use one), but rather electrical goods in general.

Invariably you find that the cost of repair outweighs the cost of a new one.

I think that, unfortunately, the technical term for this phenomenon is 'throw away society'. ;-((

Totally-braindead 15:43 02 Mar 2008

I'm afraid Clapton is God has spoken true, unless an item is very expensive its normal to find its not economical to repair and you're as well binning it.

Sorry it happened to you but theres lot of other things that are exactly the same, videos, DVD players, hoovers, microwaves to name just a few.

I cannot say if this is a common fault or not with this printer, it could be you were just extremely unfortunate.

bruno 18:42 02 Mar 2008

I appreciate what you are both saying, especially as I spent all my working life as a service engineer repairing electrical and electronic machines of various sorts. What really bugged me was the lack of availability of anyone with any knowledge to discuss the matter with. It was like speaking to a programmed parrot. Trouble is, after being used to giving a good service I half expected to receive a similar standard when I needed it. Silly me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone