Canon EOS300D

tlr 22:52 20 Jan 2004

I am looking at getting a new digital camera and quite fancy the Canon EOS300D but the baulking part was that it is at the cheapest £850 with a lens and around £700 without a lens....(why)
I then accidently forgot to click UK sites only in Google and found it is only £550 ($999) in the States......what are we getting for our 'extra' £300......will anyone in the UK match a USA price...if so the bank will have to go red and the thing will be mine.....

ch0pper 23:00 20 Jan 2004

It's the same in so many things.

Manufacturers will charge the same price in dollars as pounds, and so make ahuge amount of extra profit.

In this case there is no excuse that the camera needs to be different for a different markwt, it's simply greed.

Bear in mindm however, that if you try to import the camera you'll end up getting slapped with import duty and VAT PLUS they have the nerve to charge you VAT on the carriage costs and then impose a 'handling fee' for the pleasure of ripping you off.

Add to that the fact that Canon UK will probably make a huge fuss if you need to make a warranty claim despite the worldwide warranty ascribed at purchase, and you'll probably be better of buying in the UK.

On the other hand, if you have an American friend who can take delivery and repost it to you, he could declare the package to be 'personal possessions' and you can avoid all the hassle. Of course, you do run the risk of Customs opening the package and asking for payment anyway.

tlr 23:08 20 Jan 2004

I did contact Canon via email about this and the response was 'depending on the market type and what the consumer was prepared to pay' which basically says out for what we can get.....without that American relative it looks like it will remain an item on my 'wishlist'

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:55 21 Jan 2004

A lot of the cheap sites in the States are somewhat suspect. When I was buying digital I checked all teh US sites and after speaking with some friends that live in the States, I decided that buying here was virtually the same price as there.

Many of the really cheap sites sell grey imports or there are cases that they are selling *ahem*, not quite new cameras (returns/refurbished). Also the $ is now 1.75ish/£ and was recently 1.55ish/£. You also may have a problem if the camera is borked....it is not like you only have to go to Jessops.

G

tlr 05:22 21 Jan 2004

Wise words indeed, I did do the UK search first hence knowing it could be got for as 'low' as £850ish I suppose these days flights to the states are cheap enough to go over, buy one and have a holiday there with the difference!!!

BrianW 12:50 21 Jan 2004

You can get the 300D + lens for less than the £850 ish (click here have on for £815 for example).

From my own experience it is an excellent camera for the money. You will never get any UK firm to match US prices and, as has been said, the USD vs UK£ equivalence is just a (miserable) fact of life.

Jonathan314159 13:19 21 Jan 2004

I was looking a couple of years ago at getting a digital camera and happened to be in Singapore.

Whilst headline prices were cheaper, by the time I had added in a few things that were essential (eg battery, memory card), the price difference to the UK was basically just the VAT, which wasnt enough for me to consider getting it (given possible problems if it went wrong and the smallish risk of being stopped by Customs and being charged the VAT anyway)

ch0pper 05:07 10 Feb 2004

Whilst there may be many 'rip-off' sites in the US (as in the UK) the fact remains that for many electircal and optical devices you will pay the same in dollars as you do in pounds whilst using a site like amazon.com where the goods are NOT shady or returns.

In fact, you can make a GREAT saving by buying in the US as long as you can find a way to bring the goods into the UK without the notice of Customs and Excise.

And when the £ now buys you $1.80 it makes even MORE sense to try that route. Let's face it, a Canon EOS10D that costs £1200 in the UK but $1200 in the US is a RIP-OFF. And clearly Canon aren't alone in this despicable (if understandable) behaviour!

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:13 10 Feb 2004

'In fact, you can make a GREAT saving by buying in the US as long as you can find a way to bring the goods into the UK without the notice of Customs and Excise'...bit of a dense statement. It would appear that I am right unles you wish tio break the law. Then, if you wish to break the law ANYTHING can be cheaper....*sigh*...daft statement of the year.

G

Jester2K 08:14 10 Feb 2004

Is you made and sold cameras wouldn't YOU sell them for a price that each market supports or would you make a nice happy world where all your goods were sold at the lowest profit margin possible - lest you should rip any one off?

Go and look in Asia and i'm sure the prices will be even cheaper there. Theres more to this than "rip off" - its called Marketing.

ch0pper 09:19 10 Feb 2004

I simply refuse to believe that Gandalf, despite being a wizard, has never transgressed and broken any rule.

And my objection to your original statement was based on the erroneous claim that US sites are 'shady'. amazon.com is most certainly not shady yet still has goods at roughly a dollar-pound parity. When a product is smade and sold worldwide without needing to be altered to suit particular markets then consumers are entitled to be very angry about being overcharged.

And as for Jester2K, I was looking at it from the perspective of the consumer and not the manufacturer. If I was making anything to sell, even fairy cakes, I'd charge the highest price the market would bear. That is nothing to do with marketing - pricing is but one small part of the marketing mix.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?