Canon Camera Manual Rip Off

Sibbo 15:14 12 Feb 2006

I recently upgraded my Canon Digital Ixus 400 to the Ixus 750 and was disappointed to see that Canon no longer supplied a printed instruction manual. They supply a 127 page pdf file on CD that would be rather messy if printed out on individual sheets. I then carried out an Internet search to see if I could get hold of a nicely bound printed version. One company that I found stated:

"Our instruction manuals are always supplied as printed books. We supply high quality photocopies which are generally provided as a convenient, beautifully printed A5 (21cm x 14.8cm, 8.25 inches x 5.75 inches) booklet. Most of our booklets are produced direct from the original instruction manual using state of the art equipment".

Upon reading this I promptly ordered one for
£9-95p plus 75p P&P. When the "book" arrived I was very disappointed. All I received was a mass of A4 sheets stapled together in what can loosely be termed a book. I wouldn't say it was beautifully printed at all. In fact, I think I could have printed it out better on my inkjet printer for less than the purchase price. I immediately e-mailed the company last Friday. They read my e-mail at 11:15am approx. and did not bother to reply. They state on their website that refunds cannot be given because they produce the booklets as and when ordered. Doesn't this contravene the consumers statutory rights, or the "Distance Selling Laws"? The company in question also produce Digital Camera test reports for £3, which from what I can see, are only pdf files of tests carried out by "What Camera" magazine. Surely this also breaches copyright law? Is there anything I can do?

SG Atlantis® 15:33 12 Feb 2006

Not sure about getting a refund but would this site have a copyright agreement from Canon?

Any chance of a link?

anskyber 15:44 12 Feb 2006

Did you buy the Camera in the UK? I have 2 Canons each of which came with a book of instructions.

Stuartli 16:28 12 Feb 2006

Canon's own website contains details of how to purchase instruction manuals for its products on its support pages.

Is is the same company?

If so I would take it up with Canon, which is a respected company of many, many years' standing.

spuds 16:28 12 Feb 2006

If you purchased on-line from a UK company, then consumer law would apply. In the case of 'special' print-outs, you may find that the distance selling regulations would not apply.

Regarding the copyright issue, it could be in your interest to check this out, with perhaps Canon.

PDF print-outs are becoming very popular, as this cuts down weight and wastage. Did you check to see if this was how your copy was obtained!.

Recently, I had need to obtain an instruction manual. For £2.40 plus £2.00 postage, I received four photocopied pieces of paper.

anchor 17:41 12 Feb 2006

I would guess you did not get this direct from Canon. It sounds like a fringe supplier I found in Google.

Manuals are available direct from Canon via their Service Order Desk.

08705 143 723

Sibbo 20:15 12 Feb 2006

I bought the camera from amazon.co.uk.
Here's a link for the site in question.

click here

Widows Son 20:59 12 Feb 2006

I lost the manual for my Canon A75 but just printed off the manual, used card for the cover and a slide binder to hold it all together. Total cost about £2 and its perfectly usable

anchor 09:41 13 Feb 2006

Sibbo: Yes, that is the link I found in Google. £9.95 +p/p is exorbitant I think.

I am sure you would have been better of going direct to Canon.

Sibbo 19:01 14 Feb 2006

I sent an e-mail last Friday complaining about the manual which was ignored. I followed this up with another e-mail and asked them for a reply this time out courtesy. I got one!! It stated that they have been in business for over 30 years and that they do not feel that their websites misleads customers regarding their "beautifully printed manuals...............using state of the art" printing processes claims. They also said that they had hundreds/thousands of satisfied customers. In reply to this I asked if they were actually telling me that Canon new of their second rate products that they were selling under the Canon name? Not long after, I received another e-mail from their Managing Director quoting their excellent service, BUT, if I sent it back I would receive a full refund!!!

Widows Son 23:28 14 Feb 2006

And I'd get them to sign for it - and I'd leave it until after they've refunded before I contacted Canon :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?