can you predict the future ?

graphixDESIGN* 00:09 01 Nov 2006

Here's is my soon to be PC's SPEC.
theres more on how i came to make my decision in my prevoius thread. > click here

OK so have a look through the spec and then ive got some Questions for everyone at the bottom...

Processor (CPU)
INTEL® Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 X 2.40GHz) 1066MHz FSB/4MB L2 Cache

Memory (RAM)
2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2 800MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)

Motherboard
ASUS® P5B: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA II, x16 VGA, 3 PCI etc

Operating System
MICROSOFT WINDOWS® XP HOME (inc. Genuine CD & license) (£59)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
320GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk
80GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st CD/DVD Drive
16x +/- DVD WRITER (8x +/- Dual Lyr) (Lightscribe) (40x CD-RW) (£23)

2nd CD/DVD Drive
16x +/- DVD WRITER (8x +/- Dual Lyr) (Lightscribe) (40x CD-RW) (£23)

Graphics Card
1024MB GEFORCE 7950GX2 (DUAL GPU) PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

2nd Graphics Card
NONE

Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic 7.1: £50

Modem
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (ETHERNET)

Floppy Disk Drive
1.44MB - 3.5\" FLOPPY DISK DRIVE

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 57 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD FORMAT)

Case
Stylish Silver Aluminium Trigon Case + 2 Front/Side USB

Power Supply & cooling
600W Super Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm fan & CPU Cooler (£79)

Firewire & Video Editing
NONE

TV Card
NONE

Monitor
NONE

2nd Monitor
NONE

Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech® Cordless Internet Pro Desktop Keyboard + Mouse (Black) (£17)

Mouse
NONE

Speakers
CREATIVE INSPIRE 5.1 T6100 SPEAKER SYSTEM (£50)

Printer
NONE

Surge Protection
2 x Belkin 4 Socket 2M Surge Protector (8 Sockets) (Special: £12)

Webcam & VoIP
NONE

Anti-Virus
NONE

Office Software
NONE

- can you predict the future ?
My over all question is how long will this spec be up to date and practical?
now i know pcs go out of date hardware wise in under a month its no secret... its crazy really.
What i want to know is how long will it last untill i have to make majour changes such as CPU, mainboard graphics card etc ... basically a new pc.

theres two compodents i want to talk about.
1) CPU, duo core is it just somthing to keep consumers happy untill the next best thing or is it acctually here to stay (for a resonable time)
becouse while searching info on ps3 i came a cross an intel artical about "quad core" will this replace duo core within the next year and if so will i really get my moneys worth out if my e6600?

2) my graphics card with all this talk about Direct X 10 will my card be any good to me in the long run?
or should i wait out for direct X 10 and the next compatable graphics card.

so thats my questions ... what do you think?
any help is welcome.

wee eddie 09:35 01 Nov 2006

Why you did not wait a week for the Quad Core Processors to come on to the market.

sean-278262 18:49 01 Nov 2006

Up to date about as long as it is waiting for you to sign the ticket to take it from the postie. It will be out of date the moment it was made. However it will be reasonable spec for upcoming games for about 12-18months without any real problem.

"theres two compodents i want to talk about.
1) CPU, duo core is it just somthing to keep consumers happy untill the next best thing or is it acctually here to stay (for a resonable time)
becouse while searching info on ps3 i came a cross an intel artical about "quad core" will this replace duo core within the next year and if so will i really get my moneys worth out if my e6600?"

As eddie said why didnt you wait a week? I am sure I posted to that effect in the last thread too. It would of reduced the cost of this machine no end, it is here to stay. Multitasking has never been something computers are good at and this is one way in which they can now start to cope by allowing you to do more than one thing with no slowdown.

"2) my graphics card with all this talk about Direct X 10 will my card be any good to me in the long run?
or should i wait out for direct X 10 and the next compatable graphics card."

Wait for DX10, no use wasting money now. However it sounds like you have purchased it. Wait a week or 2 for sure till quad core systems arrive as that will drop prices. If you can last till DX 10 then thats something else to consider too.

Totally-braindead 22:38 01 Nov 2006

I'm afraid that regarding computers whatever you buy will only be the latest thing for a few months.
New things come out all the time. As a fairly simple example I built a new PC at Xmas and decided to use SATA drives. Now there is a SATA II drive so in that respect my PC is now out of date, there are also newer processors with a different socket so yet again I'm out of date.
However, regardless of this my PC still does everything I ask of it, its fast enough for my needs and being a gamer it plays everything that has been released up to now. In 6 months time it may not but that depends on what comes out regarding games.
Also as Creature of the Nite has said the longer you wait the cheaper you will get your computer for. When newer components come out the older components reduce in price. This is true all the time though so in certain ways its never a good time to buy as something new is always just round the corner. What I mean is. Taking the spec you listed, say it costs £1000 just now, in 6 months time you may get the same PC for £700 or £800. For £1000 then you might get something quite a bit faster.
As another example, my PC again, I wanted dual core but couldn't afford it so got a single core, now for the same price as I paid for my single core CPU I could get a much faster dual core one. Same with my graphics card, at Xmas it cost £130 now you can get it for £90.

If there is quad core processors coming out soon and you can wait then when they are released the dual cores will drop in price, same with the graphics cards, when the Direct X 10 cards come out the price of the older cards will drop.

You'll never win really. You can only give it your best guess.

graphixDESIGN* 21:38 02 Nov 2006

a little note "soon to be" i havent orderded it yet thats the whole point of asking so that i dont make foolish purchases.

wee eddie 23:10 02 Nov 2006

It really depends on your level of need.

If you cannot conduct your business without the highest spec PC available, then buy it.

If you wish to tell your mates that you have this mega machine, it's up to you, but next month someone else will have a faster phallic symbol. If that what floats your boat - go for it.

graphixDESIGN* 23:43 02 Nov 2006

my needs ... well i suppose i want it first and formost for work. graphics work which can be demanding of your pc.
but i also want it for gaming aswell.
really what i dont want to happern is to order it with the directX 9 graphics card only to find out DX10 is here and all the new games can no longer be played to full spec with my card.

Stuartli 00:11 03 Nov 2006

If we could we'd all be basking in the Caribbean sunshine and not worrying in the slightest about the Helproom or CustomerWatch...:-)

Rigga 10:56 03 Nov 2006

DX10 will only work on Windows Vista.

In my opinion if you wait for DX10 grfxs cards, Vista and 4 core CPU's all of which are due before this year end, you will be as up to date as you can be for years in terms of hardware.

I also agree with Creature of the Nite, top of the range graphics cards tend to have a life of 12-18 months playing the latest games with everything turned on.

But then again, there's always something new and exciting around the corner, that's the problem with technology.

If it was my money I'd wait, as I am doing.

HTH. R.

Totally-braindead 13:36 03 Nov 2006

If you are buying a PC which you intend to keep for several years ie more than a couple of years then I would say it only makes sense to wait for Vista and get a PC with a DX10 graphics card. But do remember as well that DX10 cards and a PC with Vista might well, in fact probably will be more expensive when released. If you can possibly manage to wait till its been out a few months then you might get a better deal, but of course it all depends how much you need it.
The longer you wait the cheaper it will be but as there are always new things coming out theres no ideal time to get a PC.
Personally I don't know what I would do. The problem is Vista is going to have bugs and your old hardware printers, scanners etc may not have drivers for it, and some of the software you already use may have problems. All of it will be sorted out but that takes time and buying Vista may cause you problems with what you use at the moment so I find it differcult to advise.
If you can buy a PC now without Vista and use your existing Windows XP on it and install Vista later when the problems are sorted that may be the way forward. I would make sure that the new PC had a DX10 graphics card and was completly compatible with Vista before purchase however.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?