Can VIRGIN cut my conection speed

iqs 17:08 31 Jan 2009

Hi,

I have an alleged 20MB connection which I'm paying for,but today,all day my connection has been down to about 8MB.

There are no reported faults,so this must be down to throttle management.

I don't download large files,and I haven't spent that great amount of time on-line today.

So can they cut my paid for connection speed.

Cheers

jimv7 18:09 31 Jan 2009

"Virgin Media website, we reserve the right (at our sole discretion) to reduce, suspend or terminate your Internet access. During any time of reduction or suspension, you will remain liable for the payment of your original level of Internet access charge. We also reserve the right (at our sole discretion) to re-grade your Internet access to a different speed and/or usage allowance at the appropriate charge. If we make such changes we will notify you as soon as possible."

click here

Terms and conditions (legal stuff) para.4i.

gazzaho 18:22 31 Jan 2009

If you download too much during peak times they throttle your connection by 75% for 5 hours read here click here

spuds 14:25 01 Feb 2009

In simple reply to the title, the answer is yes.

I am on a 'up to' 8Mb package, but only getting 2Mb, because my ISP considers that is all they can provide. At the same time my neighbours are averaging 6Mb constantly.

I caused a bit of a stink, and things improved slightly for a short time, and thats about all :o(

iqs 14:35 01 Feb 2009

Hi all,

And thanks for the reply's.

I have read the terms and conditions,but it still annoys me that they include this in the contract.
I don't download enough to warrant the throttle,I just would like my moneys worth :-(

Yesterday I sent a nice polite email to their customer services dept,voicing my concerns with my connection.Lets see what they have to say.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?