Can' decide!

rickf 16:41 11 Jan 2003

Considering buying 17"TFT LCD monitor from Staples tomorrow> Can't decide between AOC and Cybercom. Both same price./ I think the Cybercom produces a brighter background on first impression but need to fiddle with both to compare. I only had a glimpse of them today. The AOC has beetr design, looks better with silver frame whereas Cybercom comes in ordinary beige. Any opinions?

Sorry should read can't decide.

BrianW 17:22 11 Jan 2003

If all else is equal, see if you can find out what the transistor switch rate is. Probably be around 40 - 45 micro seconds. If you can get faster than this (I think some of the newer ones such as Hercules are down to 20 - 25 micro secs) thats the one to go for. Faster switching rate means less blur in fast games / DVD playback

rickf 17:25 11 Jan 2003

Thanks BrianW. Will go see tomorrow. I know you have one with DG input because you gave me info in this once, I think. Is the difference great? If it is I might wait till the price comes down a bit more and go for one with DG.

BrianW 18:18 11 Jan 2003

Worth having - but it does tend to cost significantly more.

everythingsuk 19:30 11 Jan 2003

i got a PROVIEW 17" TFT from Pcworld reduced to 298! its AMAZING quality, no blurring even on GTA 3, the sims etc.

one thing, do i use cleartype or not? coz it looks kinda blurry with it on but with it off, it takes lots of fiddling to make it perfect...

everythingsuk 19:30 11 Jan 2003

i got a PROVIEW 17" TFT from Pcworld reduced to 298! its AMAZING quality, no blurring even on GTA 3, the sims etc.

one thing, do i use cleartype or not? coz it looks kinda blurry with it on but with it off, it takes lots of fiddling to make it perfect...

BrianW 20:19 11 Jan 2003

I dont use cleartype, but I do set the font smoothing option on in screen properties / effects and I run the advanced settings/font size set to "large font" 125% normal option. Apart from that, I find that so long as I use the 1280 X 1024 setting everything is nice and clear.

BrianW 10:23 12 Jan 2003

rikf - gave the wrong switch rate units last night, for micro seconds read milli seconds (only a factor of 1000 out!) I wish that they could switch TFT transistors in micro secs but that is in the realms of Sci Fi.

rickf 12:53 12 Jan 2003

Thanks everyone. It helps from people with experience. I'll close this thread now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer