Camera Lenses Minefield.

Ex plorer 20:27 26 Jul 2013
Answered

Now that my interest has returned in photography and sticking with my 40D I have been looking at lenses available to update or change.

Its a mine field out there to buying the correct lens with your hard earned cash be it a budget £200-£400 or £400-£800 improvement from a budget lens.

Lets say you have two lenses to chose from one is sharper than the other the price of the sharper is chunk more money.

Hypothetically buying the cheaper lens Can the in camera sharpening in the menu mode help in any way or is that some thing quite different.

morddwyd 05:42 27 Jul 2013

I'm sure h s sutton will be able to give you much better advice than I, but in my experience you get what you pay for with lenses.

Thad's not to say that the independent lens makers don't make some very good lenses, but I have always found that the bigger problem with cheaper lenses is not sharpness, but contrast.

Ex plorer 15:07 27 Jul 2013

I will have to do some hard research on all lenses, I would like to use Canon lenses.

But I often see that canon lenses do not fair as well or any better as the independent market and are cheaper.

Of course if you buy a canon lens you are certain of them always fitting your next Canon camera.

I am certain a very good lens will out last a camera as they are updated yearly, and I reckon you can get a good lens or bad as in any other item made.

Many of Canon lenses are out of my reach money wise I can justify the £650 mark per lens per year.

My needs today are with a stabilizer.

Even so one choice would be the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens or f1.4 50mm.

Forum Editor 22:56 28 Jul 2013
Answer

My advice would always be to buy the best lens you can afford.

I use both Canon and Sigma lenses with my 40D.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)