camera advice

jimmybond 12:47 16 Oct 2006

I'm about to upgrade my digital camera - currently I have the IXUS 400. I'm hoping to improve my photography skills (am currently doing an evening class), and would like something with a bit more user control than a 'point and shoot' job.
Was thinking of getting something, that's somewhere in between the ultra-compact point & shooters and a full-blown digital SLR, until I know what I'm doing.
The new Canon Powershot G7 looks the business - the only thing thats putting me off is the lack of RAW format support.
Anyone have any opinions or other suggestions?

Ta!

hssutton 13:33 16 Oct 2006

I woild suggest you look at the Panosonic FZ50.

You can read all about it here click here approx £350

[email protected]#36 13:34 16 Oct 2006

I've had the Canon S30 for a few years now. I think they may be upto the S60 or more now. It has all the prog features but is a bit awkward to set up for most pics, so I just tend to use the pre prog settings i.e. auto, Landscape, Portrait and sport.
I was a bit unsure of RAW because it takes up a lot of extra space on the disc and all you end up doing is converting it on your PC, so you may as well let the camera do it.

anskyber 13:46 16 Oct 2006

I have the predecessor G6 and I am very happy with it. Rather like [email protected]#36 the use of RAW is more for the pros since normal pics using the range of options available on the Canon G series has proved to be good enough. RAW is very memory hungry.

FreeCell 21:23 20 Oct 2006

I have a Canon Powershot S2 which has now been superceded by the S3. This was my upgrade from the more basic point and shoot and is a lot cheaper than the slr route. It has all features you would need but not RAW, though like others I think this is a "feature" you would need to use very rarely.

I'd put more emphasis on a quality lens (Panansonics are also good here), image stabilisation and a powerful zoom. S2 has a 12X optical which when used with the 4X digital gives 48X, pretty impressive. Canon G series get good reviews as well so look out for best price. Canon have an Outlet store on Ebay which has some reasonable bargains worth looking out for.

Al94 21:36 20 Oct 2006

This has RAW and is a fantastic camera especially at this price click here I have had one for three months now in addition to a point and shoot Nikon Coolpix S3. It takes fantastic pictures, great built in pop up flash and all the control you need.

terryf 21:39 20 Oct 2006

The only problem that I have found with getting something 'in-between' is that the money spent could have gone towards the ultimate. Maybe best to keep looking at reviews, magazines, in forums and related web-sites until you can narrow down to the best camera that will meet your requirements

terryf 21:41 20 Oct 2006

PS I ended up with an EOS350D because I had an EOS50 and all the accessories fitted which meant I only had to buy the body after deciding to upgrade from a Dimage Z5

jimmybond 21:43 20 Oct 2006

the 'in between' wasn't just about the money - comapred to a 'proper' SLR, the G7 is positively miniscule.
It's really the manual functions I'm after - lugging round cases full of lenses and a camera the size of a brick can come later ;-)

Stuartli 00:22 21 Oct 2006

Whatever camera you buy, whether it's a £40 cheapo or an £800 top of the range digital SLR, you never buy on specifications alone.

You need to handle and try out a number of models that you have selected as being posssible purchases and select the one that feels right for you.

A classic example, going back some time, is the Pentax SLR whether in Spotmatic form or basic models - most people found that they instantly felt completely at ease using one.

But if it had been based purely on specification than the buying decision might well have gone the way of another marque.

Kate B 00:29 21 Oct 2006

Frankly I'd go straight for an SLR - you'll learn a lot more about how a camera works with an SLR that you can have a lot of control over. In fact I'd go one step further and say find yourself a fully manual film SLR and learn to use that: it's the very best way to learn about how light enters a camera, how to control how much hits the film and to what effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?